꧁Chapter 8꧂

Playing: Vivaldi- Concerto for Two Violins in a Minor RV522

His sudden question was a lot to take in for the girl as she choked on the bread she was munching on. Of all the times he could be asking such stupefying question, why now, when she was in the midst of eating? Now she had to suffer, coughing repeatedly as the lad dashed towards the kitchen to fetch her a glass of water and handed it to her swiftly as she drank on it.

She calmed her system as she sighed heavily. Truth be told, she wanted to avoid the question and so delaying her response in her mind was the most plausible approach for doing so. But when she darted her gaze towards the lad's dark orbs, it showed utmost anticipation. He gulped as he broke their eye contact and finally uttered a word after the defeaning silence that engulfed them for quite some time.

"So-so?" He stuttered as he attempted to initiate a conversation with the girl in front of him. Frankly speaking, he was unthinkably regretting what he asked earlier. For him, it certainly was the most rubbish move he formulated. How could he let the flaming emotions in his heart burn him? Perhaps love clearly has its ways to corrupt even the most rational thinkers. It certainly yields overwhelming power that one cannot oppose.

The girl raised her brows at him as she tried convincing the lad that it drifted off of her mind. The lad knew where she was coming from, it certainly is very nerve-wracking for her to answer it this instance. It is for him too, but he needed the answer, he needed it as soon as possible. The question that bugged him since the incident between them created uncertainty that kept circulating his system.

Will she give him a chance?

Disappointment seeped through him at that moment and it was clearly evident for the girl. He was looking down while sitting on a chair right next to the bed, fiddling his fingers. If he had received a full on assault of rejection from the girl, his eyes would probably be glistening with tears by now. But he did not, not yet, he is still hanging on a thread of hope, he should not give up that easily, not a single soul won by giving up and lifting his spirit is certainly necessary especially at these times.

"You are adorable." She uttered as she giggled right after. When her laughter subsided, she flashed a warm smile at him.

The lad was dumbfounded at her actions yet he was astonished by the sight of her smile. The smile he has been yearning to see for God knows how long. He hasn't seen that smile for ages brought about by the reasons such as him distancing himself from her and the recent loss of her beloved grandmother. He shouldn't be dwelling in the past anymore as the girl had already got back on her feet and already started moving forward so should he.

The girl suddenly grabbed his left hand. The lad flinched at the contact but immediately regained sanity right after. The girl slowly intertwined their fingers and Terry was certain he felt his cheeks heating up at that point.

"Yes, yes you can, Terry." She blurted out.

The idea of him finally expressing his affection to her openly made him feel overjoyed. Well it was a further reassurance although it's not yet enough for him to feel safe and lower his guard down, he was happy that the girl somehow accepted his feelings, that was all he needed at that moment.

________________________

Their trip down the river was unfathomably hellish and if he had a choice, he would've strayed away from the girl's side a long time ago if he knew that he would be encountering this much difficulties along the way. Lying down the sand at the riverbank, they were too exhausted to even lift a single finger as they let the sun bake their damp bodies. Both of them were panting heavily, it was a relief that they managed to hold onto a fairly large driftwood and somehow lift their head up from the violent surge of water despite the constant anxiety of them drowning their way through the rapids.