C H A P T E R 1

ANGELA
•••••••••••••••

My legs pumped beneath me and my lungs swelled with oxygen,allowing me to run faster. As adrenaline poured through my body, I leapt over fallen branches and shoved bushes out of my path.

I was almost out of the woods when hands grabbed my waist and yanked me back onto the ground. I grunted as a weight pinned me down by my hands and a knife was pressed against my throat.

"I didn't imagine you'd make the same mistake you did the previous time we were out here." Owen smirked while breathing heavily.

"You cheated." I glared up at him as he got up and held his hand out for me to grab but I shoved his hand away and got up from the ground.

"There's no cheating when it comes to fighting for your life." He replied as I dusted off my now dirty pants.

When I didnt respond back, he sighed heavily. "You can't keep running away when things get too tough. Sometimes you have to stay and confront your battles head on." He said before grasping my hand and tugging me forward.

"I know." I grumbled out and crossed my arms."I just don't like loosing or . . . failing for that matter."

His eyes soften before he gave me a small smile. "You did great today, Angela." He said as we started walking back to the warehouse. "You've gotten a lot better since the first time we started."

I sighed and thanked him before we fell into a comfortable silence.

It's been a year since I've left my home in Spain and joined a small organization that only recruits women. How I've came to join them was unplanned but I'm happy I did.

Owen Ashford. I met him the same day I met his sister, Jade. I had just found out that my father has not only been lying to me but also to my brothers since the accident. I left the house and went out to a small coffee cafe in town, without my brothers knowing.

I was filled with so much anger, betrayal and hurt that I didn't even notice someone sitting in front of me at the cafe.

I wiped my tears with the sleeves of my shirt before addressing the woman in front of me. She only smiled and continued drinking her coffee. "Don't mind me, I just didn't want to sit alone." She said and casually looked around the cafe.

After a few silent minutes of me sniffling and wiping away the silent tears, she decided to speak again.

"Do you want to talk about it?" She asked and crossed her arms over the table. "Maybe you'll feel better after telling some stranger about what's bothering you."She smiles and gives me time to think it over.

She seems nice. But can I trust her? Like she said, she's a complete stranger. But is what's bothering me some huge secret that could get me killed?

No. At least I don't think so.

I sigh heavily before asking what her name is. She holds out her had for me to take. "My name's Jade." She introduced kindly and I shook her hand.

After telling her my name, I take a deep breath before starting from the beginning. And I tell her everything.

I tell her about my family, the accident and what had happened recently.

I tell her about Elijah.

Halfway through talking I started crying again. And that only made me feel even more pathetic.

Jade didn't interrupt me once and only listened to me. Listened to how I absolutely poured my heart out beacuse I've never had someone to actually talk to about all of this.