C H A P T E R 22

ANGELA
•••••••••••••

Elijah has been holding my hand the whole car ride to his mother's birthday party. It's quiet - a comfortable quiet - but I can tell something's off.

He usually likes to hold my hand and sometimes doesn't even realize he's holding it until I let go. But this time it kinda feels different.

He's been silent ever since we got in the car and his grip on my hand tightens and loosens from time to time - as if to reassure himself that I'm still here.

He's stressed about something.

"Elijah?"

He takes a moment to react before glancing over at me. "Yes, angel."

"What's wrong?" I wrap my other hand over the both of ours.

"Nothing."

He sighs when I don't say anything and squeezes my hand, rubbing his thumb over my knuckles. "I don't trust my father. And him being at that party makes me a bit . . . annoyed."

He's definitely more than just annoyed.

I squeeze his hand back and run my other hand up his arm reassuringly. "He wouldn't do anything stupid while you and all your men are there, right?"

He glances at me with a look of doubt on his face and shakes his head. "Angela I'm worried about your safety and him being there puts it at risk. It's going to be hard to protect you if I don't exactly know what his intentions are."

I sigh and turn away from him, looking straight ahead. "I can protect myself you know. I'm not that same scared and naive little girl anymore."

I let go of his hand.

The car jolts as Elijah abruptly comes to a stop in the middle of the road. There isn't a lot of trafic tonight, but the few cars that overtake us, beeps annoyingly loud as they pass by. Elijah ignores it before fully turning towards me.

"I didn't say that you couldn't protect yourself Angela. I know you can." He takes my face into his hands, leaning in, "I'm just worried.I've lost you so many times, I don't think my heart can handle losing you again." He says softly.

He leans closer and softly kisses the side of my mouth. "You mean everything to me. Please don't think that me worrying about you also means that I don't trust your capability. I worry because I care."

My chest tightens, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to overreact. I just get a bit defensive sometimes with these kinds of things. I've been underestimated and manipulated for so long that it's become a sensitive topic. I know you mean well, but you don't have to worry so much. I'll be by your side the whole night."

I lean forward and kiss his lips. He closes his eyes for a moment before pulling back. "You promise?"

I smile fondly at him as I say, "Pinky promise, gummy bear."

His lips tip into a small smile as I say this.

"Good." He then starts up the car and grabs my hand again. "Don't let go of my hand again, please angel."