Chapter 5. Remarried Empress

"...Oh, that's right. Her majesty might send you a gift."

"A gift?"

"The royal residence belongs to the empress."

"So accordingto custom, the empress sends the mistress a welcome gift to show that she recognizes the mistress and accepts her into the royal household."

"Do you think her majesty will give me a gift too?"

"I will not."

You and three others sigh in relief.

"What a relief." They said "We were afraid you might send that girl a gift as custom dictates."

There are only three main reasons why an Empress would send a mistress a gift.

1. If they are friends.

2. If the mistress is a high-ranking noble.

3. If the mistress is of the same bloodline as the empress.

Rashta doesn't fall into any of these categories. So why should an Empress go out of her way to send her a gift?

"Don't worry. There's no reason for me to send her one." Navier reassures you all.

"If only Laura was here to hear you say that. Why she would've absolutely jumped for joy." The background character beamed.

"Oh! That's right!"

"Are the rumors true, your majesty?"

"Rumors?" Navier questions.

"That the prince from the western kingdom will be in attendance for this year's new year's ceremony."

"I heard that the prince is absolutely gorgeous. That one look into his eyes is enough to captivate any woman!"

"I heard he's as stubborn as a mule."

"He's caught up in a whirlwind of rumors of being involved with so many women. Yet the fact that he has fathered no children..."

"...Do you think the rumor about him being a seedless watermelon is true?"

Hearing that sentence, you started laughing a bit. Trying to muffle the sounds with your paws.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention. You were currently a cat again, laying down on Naviers lap.

"But in any case, is he really coming!?"

Navier slightly laughs at the swooning faces of her servents.

"I can't verify the truth of those rumors, but, yes, he is coming to this year's new year's ceremony."

There was a sudden knocking at the door.

"Come in"

The door opens to reveal a messenger.

"Your majesty, grand duke Rylan Roth of Winchester sends his regards with a gift of the finest silks in all the eastern empire!"

Again?

"Tell him I'm grateful, but that just his regards are enough." Navier sighs out.

Grand duke Rylan Roth of Winchester is an extended family member of Sovieshu...

...who has no interest in the throne, but has a strong thirst for power.

He regularly sends bribes so he could try to request special favors in return.

"He's a determined one, isn't he?" Eliza says after the messenger leaves.

"Yes, he is" navier laughs slightly.

"Come, take a break, your majesty. It's teatime."

Navier sighs, "how fragrant." She exclaims.

"Pardon the interruption, your majesty."

"But lady rashta wishes to see you."

This boy thinks he could just come in without knocking?

"...rashta?"

"She may enter."

"Your majesty, it's so nice to see you again. It's me, rashta!"

Right, these people — except Navier — didn't know that you were the cat, sitting on Naviers lap.

"...unlike the last time we met, his majesty has taken you as his mistress.

Congratulations."

"Thank you!"

Rashta gleefully smiles at Navier as she held her hands together infront of her chest.

"So, what brings you here?"

Navier began stroking your fur, making you purr in delight.

"What brings me here?"

"?"

"To see my sister, her majesty!"

Eliza spits the tea the was drinking out. Navier had also stopped brushing your fur coat with her hands, staring at rashta with unknown emotions.

"...What? Sister?"

"We're sisters now because we have the same husband!"

This appalled both you and Navier.

"What?"

"So..."

Rashta stared at Navier with what seems to be like puppy dog eyes along with a big smile.

"...Can I call you big sister from now on?"