Chapter 6. Remarried Empress

I forgot I had a book

This girl should be out of her mind. Saying that she and the empress have the same husband so that would make them sisters.

'How idiotic of her.'  You thought.

"No." Navier simply states.

"...Pardon?" Rashta starts to tear up, whimpering slightly.

"Do you... do you dislike me? Is that why?

"It has nothing to do with liking or disliking you. In the first place..."

"...That you have become his mistress doesn't mean we have become sisters."

Rashta starts to let a few tears slip out of her eyes. Looking over to the women who were still in the room made her freeze.

They were all glaring at her, judging her, giving side-eyed glances. This gave her chills.

"Get out." They said.

Rashta sulks on the desk, " I think the empress hates me."

"What."

"She said..."

"...That I'm only his Majesty's mistress, not her sister. So I'm not allowed to call her 'big sister.'" She pouted.

"She hates me. I'm sure of it."

"Or is that how it normally is?" She whined towards the man.

"Lady Rashta... you couldn't have possibly..."

"Did you go see her majesty...?" The man starts to sweat nervously.

"Yes!"

"Oh, no.."

"Why? I'm not supposed to?"

"Well... not exactly... it's just that the empress and you are in antithetical positions."

"Why? We both have the same husband now, don't we?"

"But... you didn't sat that to her majesty, did you?"

"Of course, I did!"

'Oh... oh dear me! The goddess was mostly likely with her majesty too!"

(I'm going to skip the scene where she meets Queen for the first time)

You're walking with Navier and her ladies-in-waiting, them talking about the bird who visited Navier and you.

You haven't seen Navier this happy unless it was just the both of you. It made you smile.

"Do you think the bird will come visit again?"

"I do hope it returns, and with another letter!"

"I should think it will be back, as long as it doesn't lose its way."

"Ahh! My heart is all aflutter from the excitement!"

"I wonder whose bird it is!"

As soon as Navier goes to open her door, she sees Sovieshu, seemingly waiting for her.

"...You majesty?"

"Ah, you've finally returned, empress."

"What brings you here...?"

"I believe rashta will need her very own lady-in-waiting. But finding a willing noble has been difficult."

"I thought you kings handled everything concerning your very own mistress? Navier has been preparing for the New Year's Ceremony this whole time." You questioned the now stiffened male.

Sovieshu coughs into his hand, "It's obvious they're all being cautious because you haven't joined in on the search. So!"

"I want you to lead the search in finding rashta her lady-in-waiting."

"...Very well." Navier hesitantly says.

"Good. I'm counting on you."

Before Sovieshu left, you said one last thing.

"How did such an irresponsible man become the emperor?"

-clack-

"Must you really be the one to find that woman's lady-in-waiting?"

"Why, I heard even his majesty's secretaries have given up."

"Honestly, I don't want to..." navier quietly stated.

"Why must the empress personally find a lady-in-waiting for a mere mistress?!"

"But with how insistent he was..."

"This just shows how powerless he is without you, my dear." You whispered into her ear.

Ladies-in-waiting are chosen from nobles of the same rank or at most a rung or two lower.

But rashta is not from a noble family, so it is a breach of etiquette to ask a noblewoman to take on this role.

"..what could I do but agree?" Navier said.

"Tell him to do it himself and that you have too much on your shoulders already. Plus it's his mistress." You stated, truth in your words.

"Please send invitations to all the noblewoman and their daughters for a tea party." Navier painfully ignores you, much to your disappointment.