Prologue

Third Person Point Of View:

Eliza Ezrus's village was called The Village Hidden in the Mud. Eliza was married to Kakashi Hatake, copycat of The Hidden Leaf Village, but she never wanted to leave her parents. Her parents needed someone to take care of them, and Kakashi was fine with it. He understood their state.

She had their first child when he came to visit, which was quite frequently. He visited 4 out of the 7 days a week: Thursday through Sunday. They had a little girl named Kaori Hatake. They were very happy parents.

Three months later, there was an attack on the village. Eliza Ezrus, Kaori's mother, sacrificed herself to save her village from The Great Dire Wolf, Doana. Kaori was just a little over 3 months old. Kakashi was on a mission, so he never knew what was going on.

Unfortunately, the village was already good as gone. Using a sealing jutsu, Eliza sealed the dire wolf inside her daughter's body. She was never able to watch her daughter grow into the ninja she hoped for.

A few Shinobi from The Hidden Leaf Village were passing by The Hidden Mud Village, returning from a mission, Kakashi Hatake being one of them. They took in the disaster, caused by Doana, but they stopped in their tracks when they heard a baby's cries. The ninjas rushed towards the noise.

Kakashi's heart broke when he seen the little house where his wife and daughter lived. There was a giant hole in the wall by the front door. The cries came again and he sprinted fast, jumping through the hole, not caring to use the door. Laying in her crib was his baby Kaori.

Kakashi slowly picked up his daughter in his arms, rocking her gently to cease her crying. He looked at the Shinobi walking back from searching the rest of the house. They all had a heartbroken look on their faces. Then it hit him. Doana got here before they did. Guy, his "rival", came out with Eliza limp in his arms.

"She used a sealing jutsu to seal away the beast inside your daughter, and her parents died as well. The mother from a heart attack and the father from blood loss," Guy said softly.

Kakashi immediately looked away from his deceased wife, his childhood best friend. He looked back to his daughter. He quit rocking Koari in his arms and just stared at her with a soft look. Guy knew what was going to happen then and there.

The upset father pulled out a kunai knife from his pouch. He slit the palm of his hand and placed the bloody palm on the baby's upper arm, chanting softly. A small white glare flashed after the chanting. He did it. He claimed his daughter.

• • • • •

12 years later...
Kaori's Point Of View:

"Dad, what is the point of ninjas anyway?" I panted, slumping down against a tree. Dad was no easy opponent during my trainings. It's hard for me, but it's like he doesn't need to pay attention in order to dodge my attacks. My breathing was heavy, and my chest was heaving.

"Well, that's a good question, Kaori. Let me see. Well, what do you think ninjas are for?" Dad replied, sitting in front of me. I wasn't sure myself. I glanced down at the soft, swaying grass, before looking back at my father.

"I'm...not sure, dad," I told him quietly, looking back to the ground. Dad sighed softly.

"Okay. Let's start off with what you are taught in school. What is a ninja?"

"Shinobi, also interchangeably referred to as ninja, are the primary focus and the main military power. A female ninja is known as a kunoichi. Most come from a hidden village, of which some come from specialised ninja clans, and will perform missions for a fee," I answered. That was an easy question. Dad chuckled.

"Good to know you pay attention in school. Okay, now these missions can include doing what?"

"Manual labour, acting as escorts, gathering secret information, retrieving stolen items, carrying out assassinations, and so on," I smiled.

"Very good. The clearest characteristic of a shinobi is their ability to what?

"Manipulate chakra to create and use techniques."

"Correct. In times of war, ninja will come together to defend their villages and land. Shinobi are expected to be loyal to their villages for life, and any defectors are considered to be missing-nin, and will be marked for death," Dad explained. He looked up at the sky before his gaze returned to my exhausted body.

"I didn't think defeat hurt this bad, but I'm glad it's not a life or death situation at the moment," I sighed with a few coughs after that.

"I'm glad it's not either. Come here, kiddo. Let's go home." Dad picked me up in his arms, and I rested against him. My head laid on his chest, and my eyes closed as sleep took over my tired form.

832 words.