Chapter Twenty - Two

Gaara's Point Of View:

"It's time to head out," Tsunade, the 5th hokage, announced. Just a little while ago, Orochimaru did the reanimation jutsu to bring back the 1st-4th Hokage and my father.

Those previous chunin exams were just decoys. During Kaori's 3 month absence, we already did the exams and the 3rd Hokage and my father were killed by Orochimaru. However, he left the Akatsuki, did his own thing for a while, finally ending up with us.

Kakashi led his group to the boarders, and I did the same with mine. Temari, Kankuro, and I jumped over the boarder line into our village. Our father and Baki, our sensei, followed. I stood near the edge, waiting.

"Glad you could make it." I despised that voice. The Uchiha emerged from the darkness. He had Kaori by his side, and the shark dude was right behind him. He cut her ropes that bounded her wrists together.

Kakashi and I jumped into the neutral land. We stood side by side, eyes only on them. I narrowed my eyes at them as Kaori came forward. She smiled at me, and I relaxed. Kakashi hugged her tightly in relief.

"Thank you, Itachi," Kakashi spoke greatfully. I nodded my head in agreement.

"At least she's in safe hands now," Itachi replied. Kaori stepped to my side, hugging me from the side. Itachi closed his eyes, a small smile appearing. Him and Kisame disappeared into the darkness again.

"Gaara," Kaori said, small tears soaking my side.

"I'm glad you're back, Kaori," Ino said when we jumped back into the Leaf territory.

"It's nice to be home," Kaori sighed with a content smile.

"Let's get back to the village," Kakashi suggested. We all agreed. We were all overwhelmed with hundreds of emotions.

"Lets go get some grub!" Choji shouted.

Kaori laughed, "Yeah. Sounds good." She turned and pecked my cheek gently, "I missed you, Gaara."

"I missed you, too," I muttered.

Kaori's POV.

"That was good," I sighed. I haven't had a good meal in a while. Of course that's kind of a lie considering Itachi's food was pretty good. I rested my body against Gaara, and he accepted me.

"Feel better now that you kids have some food in your systems?" Asuma Sensei questioned. I nodded in agreement, finally satisfied that my hunger has been fully relieved.

"Very much better," Choji said before he burped in satisfaction. We all laughed or chuckled at our friend. Gaara's hand grazed through my hair. My cheeks reddened for once. I swear he is the only one that's ever made my whole face redden. My hair was probably a rat's nest. I hadn't brushed it in days.

"Gaara-" He gave me a look, and I closed my mouth.

"Your denying got shut down, Kaori. How do you feel?" Ino asked like an announcer or an interviewer. I glared at her in response. I gripped my partner's wrist, pulling his hand away from my hair. I should get it brushed soon before he does that.

"My hair is a mess," I murmured to him, my cheeks getting burned.

"To be honest, Kay, it's actually not. It's pretty tamed if you ask me," Temari piped up. My face flushed, and I attempted to shield it with Gaara. He chuckled lightly, and others laughed along with Temari. "You don't need to hide. You're fine."

"Gaara," I whined. "Don't laugh at me." I felt his eyes on me, but I didn't dare look up.

"I'm sorry, Kaori," Temari said, halting her laughing enough to talk. "You're just so cute when you get flustered."

"I didn't know she was your girlfriend to tease," Gaara said. It was low and calm, but he sounded mad.

"Easy now, Little Bro," Kankuro tried. "No one's taking Kaori from you. Temari, zip it."

"Easy now," Dad intervened. "No need to get worked up you three. Kaori is all right. Calm your protectiveness, Gaara. And, Temari, please stop teasing." I pulled my face out of Gaara's side and looked up at Dad. He gave me a smile through his mask.

683 words.