Chapter Thirty - Three

Kaori's Point Of View:

"I think we're ready for our first B mission," Ino cheered. I smiled at her enthusiasm.

"I think otherwise," Shikamaru diagreed. "First, we're barely chunin level. Second, that is going to be such a drag."

"Awe, but Shikamaru," Choji pouted to the sitting kid on the rock. I had my back against the trunk of a tree a little ways up and straightened my right leg across the sturdy branch with my left dangling off the side. Ino sat on a log across from Shikamaru, and Choji leaned against my tree. Kaen laid beside Ino on the ground. "Wouldn't it be fun to test how powerful we are? And think of the reward! We could go out for barbeque!"

"Choji, you can't just always think with your stomach. You have to think logically about this," Shika groned. Kaen barked in agreement. Then, all eyes were on me for the tie-breaker. I smiled down at them, putting my face up to the sky for the breeze.

"I honestly would love to test my strength against jounin." Shikamaru groaned. "But as tempting as it sounds, Shikamaru is our leader. I think if he says we're not ready for the full scale, we're just not ready for it yet." He smiled slightly up at me.

"Thanks, Kaori."

"I believe in your judgement," I stated. We turned our attention when we heard footsteps. Choji picked up Kaen doggy-style, and my teammates dispersed, hiding up in the trees. I stood up, hiding on the tree I was already on. I pinpointed the exact location of each of my teammates.

"Come on, guys. It's just me," Asuma chuckled. "Although, I'm a little relieved you all remember how to hide from the enemy." I saw him look around before smirking. I saw him disappear, but the first one he found was Ino, then Choji. I looked out. Should I make a run for it? "And finally...Kaori." I about tumbled off the tree, but Asuma caught me with ease, hopping down where my teammates looked completely defeated. Sensei set me down to my feet gently.

"The only two who pick different places each time are Kaori and Shikamaru. You know, inconsistency and different throw your enemy into a mess. Try it out next time. Now, are you ready to hear the mission? It's a C-rank mission." We all nodded eagerly. "Good. We will be escorting a very powerful man, a king specifically, to the Hidden Cloud Village."

"Why didn't any Cloud ninja go escort him?" I asked curiously.

"Since the King lives closer to the Leaf, the Raikage reccommended us to him. This way, he could get there faster and sooner rather than waiting days for the Cloud ninja to arrive. Time is essence."

"Wait a minute..." Shikamaru muttered. We shared a look.

"You two pick up quick. You really are a couple of lie detectors," Asuma Sensei laughed. "This is an A-ranked mission. However, the King, himself, has ordered two ninja groups instead of the usual one. This will be a multiple day trip."

"But, Sensei," Ino called out. He moved his eyes to her. "Why aren't jounin only being sent on this mission?"

"He agreed to let a few chunin as one of the teams. After Lord Third's advisor requested it for a training lesson. His Majesty kindly accepted it, and according to her, he was thrilled to let the next generation tag along."

"Who is coming with us?" Choji questioned, munching on a bag of chips that apparently appeared out of thin air.

"Your fathers, as well as Guy. Kurenai will supervise Kakashi and Guy's team." We all sweat-dropped and looked away awkwardly. Asuma laughed.

"Yeah, so don't slow us down," Shikamaru's dad scoffed. We turned to see our dads. Dad had crossed arms.

"What a drag," Shikamaru groaned. "Why am I stuck with my old man?"