Chapter Twenty - Four

Kaori's Point Of View:

"What are you talking about?" Shikamaru questioned. I walked farther away from the group. I released a deep breath, pulling my gloves off and dropping them next to me. I bit my thumb, drawing a bead of blood from my thumb. I did the five hand signs. Boar, Dog, Bird, Money, Ram.

I snapped my eyes open, calling, "Summoning Jutsu," as I slammed my hand on the road. I was expecting Shein, but a white and black fox sat before me, her tail wrapped around her sitting figure. "I wasn't expecting you," I confessed, kneeling down to stroke her head.

"Well, Shein was busy, and as another of your summons, I came instead," she explained. I smiled.

"You're still just as cool as he is." She nuzzled further into my hand. I glanced up before my 'duh' moment washed over me. "Oh." I picked up the beautiful fox. "This sweetheart is Guresu. She's one of my summons. Well, half of them."

"Aww! Hi, Sweetie," Ino cooed, coming forward to gently scratch the sides of her face. Guresu tensed before her hands even touched her, but she eventually relaxed, allowing my companion to pet her.

"What did you need Shein for?" Guresu asked after Choji pulled Ino away from the little beauty.

"I wanted him to talk to Sakura about teammates."

"Ahh. Yeah. He does know that subject pretty well," she agreed.

"But...he probably wouldn't have talked about it anyway," I contradicted. She gazed up at me with her beautiful, emerald green eyes that were full of sadness. "He's still touchy on that subject after his own teammates were killed on a mission he wasn't told about," I explained to the confusion that wrapped around everyone.

Guresu put her paws on my shoulder. My hand guided her back end up, so she could get up onto my shoulder. She sat down, looking down at me.

"You could try to summon Shein again. He should be done," Guresa told me.

"I wonder if I have enough chakra," I murmured, looking down at my hands. I heard Doana's growl rumble from deep within her cage. I tensed at the sound. "Maybe I shouldn't," I said.

"Look at me, Kaori," Dad ordered as he crouched down to my height. "Doana is part of you. Didn't you just tell Sakura that about Naruto? That he's her teammate now? That's the same for her." He placed his hand gently over the seal on my stomach. "Her chakra is your chakra. She is part of you now. You have to become one with her. She's not the beast she once was." He turned to Gaara. "And that goes for all beasts in a jinchuriki."

"Okay," I sighed. I'll have to figure out her chakra then. I took a breath to calm myself, closing my eyes. I entered my subconscious.

I was walking down a hallway. It was dark. Really dark. I swallowed when I heard chains being tugged on. A vicious snarl rippled through the air. The forceful tugging continued and so did the inconsistent snarling. I walked a little faster to the sound.

Then, I stopped, frozen in fear at the massive beast that stood before me on the other side of bars. A pained growl left from deep within its chest. The massive dire wolf yanked against the chains.

Her neck was tightly locked in a suffocating hold by a metal collar that was connected to a chain. The chain came from the wall. It was short, but not too short.

My heart sank for the poor beast that was suffering.

"Doana," I whispered. I clasped my hand over my mouth, knowing she heard me. She turned her head, baring her sharp, white fangs at me with a murderous growl.

I snapped my eyes open, clutching the first thing I could grab a hold of. It so happened to be Dad's jacket. My breathing was ragged. Dad reached his hand around to my backside, gently placing it down on the back of my head, pulling me to him.

"Easy, Kiddo. I'm here. What happened?"

"She was huge. She was...she was locked in a suffocating chain. She's being hurt, Dad," I cried, wrapping my arms around his neck. My breathing was uncontrollable as I cried into his shoulder. Watching her suffer brought an unfamiliar pain to my chest, knowing that this is the first time in over thirteen years that she had been suffering for so long.

"Your seal isn't a safe one for beasts. But I didn't know that she would be treated like that."

"Can't we change the seal at least?" I cried. I wanted her to be okay, but I really didn't want to see her again. But I did. She terrified me, but Dad is right. She's me now. She's been a part of me since I was a helpless infant.

"We would have to ask someone who knows about how jinchuriki work. I can't tell you that without uncertainty."

"Do you think...do you think I could just take the chains off?" I murmured. He pulled back.

"What?"

"Is there a possibility I could take the chain off of her neck?" I repeated. He just watched me.

"I mean. Maybe. We should go ask Jiraiya Sensei before trying any harmful stunts that could hurt you or her. I don't want to risk it," he answered. I looked down. "We'll save her, Kao. All right? Trust me. I will help her to the best of my abilities."

"Thanks, Dad," I smiled sadly, hugging him again.

"Anytime, Kiddo."

933 words.