Chapter Twenty - One

Kaori's Point Of View:

I feel helpless and scared. Please come, Dad. I need you, more than ever. I'm sorry, Gaara. I'm sorry that you are probably worried about me.

Kisame was standing, leaned up against the wall, watching over me. He never left since Itachi walked out the door. I wonder what he's doing.

"Kisame?" I called out softly.

"What is it, Kid?"

"How long have you known Itachi?"

"Since I joined the Akatsuki. Him and I were partnered up."

I nodded. I continued to stare at my lap and the dark covers that kept me warm. Itachi and Sasuke are brothers...but...

"What happened to the Uchiha clan?"

"Itachi killed every last one of them, and, in return, the elders and Lord Third of Konoha promised to protect Sasuke." My eyes widened, snapping up to meet his. My body trembled. How, actually, why is he so nice to me then?

"Wha..."

"He did it to protect his brother from the raid that the village was going to do. If all of the Uchiha were there, his brother may have been slaughtered with them," he continued.

"I didn't have a clue," I whispered breathlessly.

"Nobody did. Only those three, Tobi, and Itachi. Not even Sasuke knows."

"Tobi knows?"

"Yes. He knows everyone's background. Including yours. Your whole life. He was having us keep tabs on all of the tailed beasts. And then The Village Hidden in the Mud tragedy happened. We heard about what happened. The story spread around like a wildfire. So, now you are the key to success in the operation."

"I-I just want to go home. I want my dad back. I want Gaara."

"I know, and that is precisely why Itachi left. To set up a plan and a place with them. Itachi said these things are soundproof. But I don't want to risk it," he said in a very soft, quiet voice. "Don't worry, kid," he said in a normal tone. "Itachi won't let them hurt you."

I nodded with a smile. I trust them. I know I can. I looked at the ceiling to suppress my growing smile. I'm going to get out of here.

Thank you, Itachi.

- - - - - - -

Itachi's Point Of View:

I entered the campsite. I made sure to keep my jumps and footsteps quiet. I need to hurry up and get back before Tobi does something to hurt the girl. I jumped off the tree, silently landing on the ground.

I ran the rest of the way. I hid behind an empty cabin when I caught sight of the entire group. Now where is Kakashi? Or that ginger. Or perhaps Tobirama or even Sasuke.

"I can't believe you, Kakashi! You need to be more considerate about your daughter!"

"Kushina, I think you're being a little harsh on Kakashi," Lord Fourth said sternly to the bright red haired woman that was scolding Kakashi. I activated my Sharingan.

"It's fine, Sensei," he muttered. Fourth looked at him with regret.

"Kakashi, why are you being so mean to her? What has she ever done to you? She's just a girl. Why are you hurting her?"

"It will end up hurting me in the end. I think that is what's best."

"Kakashi!" Minato scolded. Kakashi sighed in defeat. He watched the Nine-Tails, my little brother, and a girl from afar. Time to make my move. I should hurry and get back to her.