Chapter Thirty - Nine

Kaori's Point Of View:

"Everyone ready to keep moving?" Sensei questioned. My teammates yawned tiredly, but I nodded.

"Come on, kids. Show us your youthful spirit!" Guy shouted. It was only eight in the morning. Could he not be so loud? His Majesty chuckled a bit. The royals packed their bags in their carriage and loaded up. I glanced around warily. I felt like I was missing something. I saw strands of sand fly past me in the air. My eyes softened, and I sat my bag on the ground, taking off.

The adults couldn't catch me, but Dad didn't seem to try. Where was he? I didn't even know where he was staying. I saw the sand again, and I picked up the pace, following it. I weaved through people expertly. I stopped at an inn, attempting to catch my breath. I slipped inside quietly, sneaking past the front desk. I snuck up the stairs, continuing to follow the strands of sand. I knew it was Gaara's.

I watched as the sand vanished through a keyhole into one of the rooms. I hesitated for a second, but I didn't even need to knock. Kankuro opened the door a second later.

"Kaori!" Temari greeted, shooting up from one of the two beds immediately. I smiled with a little wave as Kankuro grinned widely. I saw Gaara sitting on the loveseat couch in front of the window. He seemed relaxed as the sand returned to him. His eyes gazed up to capture mine. "We were waiting to see if you came to say bye," Temari explained.

"I guess Gaara was right," Kankuro smiled. Gaara stood to his feet, and before I knew it, he embraced me.

"I couldn't leave without seeing you," I murmured.

"I know," Gaara responded. "That's why I sent my sand to guide you."

"I would have probably gotten lost trying to find you," I giggled. Kankuro crossed his arms with a grin as Temari fawned over us.

"That was good thinking, Little Brother," Kankuro praised. I chuckled in response, reaching up to pet Gaara's red hair. I've missed him so much. I didn't want to leave him now. We'd never see each other again for a long time.

"Kaori." I glanced towards the voice in the hall. "It's time to go," Shikamaru told me. He smiled sadly at Gaara burying his face in the crook of my neck. Temari gave him a little wave. I knew Shikamaru was right, but I still hesitated.

I took in Gaara's scent before I slowly released him, cupping his cheeks. He gave me a yearning kiss before finally letting me go. His touch being gone didn't last long. He guided me towards Shika, and Gaara's eyes finally locked with his. Temari and Kankuro stepped into the hallway.

"Protect her. Take care of her," Gaara ordered, and Shikamaru smiled with a nod in agreement. Gaara let the Leaf ninja take me under his wing. Temari fidgeted in her spot.

"Be careful," Temari said a little more quiet than she would usually talk.

"We will," Shikamaru answered.

"I think she was talking about you," I said to Shikamaru. His eyes widened a bit. I finally nudged him a moment. "Well? Go on," I urged.

"I'll be careful," Shikamaru breathed out. Temari's breath hitched, and she blushed a bit. Her eyes averted from us immediately.

Shikamaru and I eventually rejoined the group. Sensei breathed in relief. Dad smiled under his mask, and the other adults looked curious. Shika was blushing before he finally calmed down.

"Where did she go?" His Majesty wondered.

"To see Gaara," Shikamaru answered.

"Gaara was the ginger who returned with her after the kidnapping. He's her boyfriend," Dad explained. The royal nodded a bit. His curiosity about me seemed to grow.

633 words.