Chapter Fifteen

Kaori's Point Of View:

We made it to the exam place. I thought there was a written test first. That's what my father said. Then there are two more stages that follow the first.

The first stage is a written test of ten questions that you have to complete in one hour.

The second stage's requirements are you have 5 days to get an Earth and Heaven scroll and get it to the tower before the time runs out.

The third and final stage consisted of one-on-one tournament battles. The more battles you win will give you a higher chance to become a chunin.

However, you can still become a chunin even if you lose battles. As long as you give it your all and show them your best, you have a good chance in becoming a chunin.

But when I got there, people were wordless. The quietness of the crowd was horrifying. There were two people on the floor already while everyone else was in the stands. The examiner was standing right behind the two. Sasuke Uchiha was against Yoroi Akadō. At least, that's what the giant board said.

The four Kages and the Sannin I was traveling with, jumped into the arena. I just stayed put, not knowing what to do. I swallowed back my pride and ran across the roof. Whispers started going. I slid down the roof, gripping the edge, and swung my body gently as I watched my teammates.

The senseis just stared at me with shocked expressions. Dad looked like he was about to cry. Ino was already doing so. I swung my body again. My fingers hurt, and I felt like I was going to drop. I swung forward, letting go of the roof, and I landed on the railing.

"Well hello there people. Can you please stop staring. It's really creeping me out." I laughed nervously to play off my discomfort.

Ino literally yanked me off the railing, squeezing the life out of me. I was shocked. How could they take me back so easily after I left them heartbroken?

"Ino," I muttered. Dad took me into his arms next. The familiarity of his arms was comforting. I sighed, finally being in my safe place. Lord First soon started the chunin exams up again. I smiled at my dad.

After about 16 or 17 more rounds, it was...me versus Gaara? Oh no. Please no. I don't want to fight him. Not after what happened. Wait...I didn't even participate.

"Why am I fighting? I didn't even do the first two stages," I said.

"Because we entered you," Ino said fearlessly. Her eyes burned with confidence.

"Go get him, kiddo," Sensei encouraged. They have so much faith in me. But why? I...I left them. "We'll explain later."

"Be careful, Kaori," Dad said.

"I'm your kid. I'm always careful." His eyes welled up a bit, like he's missed me saying that or something.

"I've missed your stupid comments like that." And I guessed it again. I jumped over the railing. I landed in a crouch, my eyes down. My eyes snapped to his as soon as his feet landed.

"Fight!" the examiner shouted. I grinned at Gaara. I will not lose to him after what he did. He used me. He hurt me. I don't want to forgive him, but my heart said otherwise.

"You got this, Kaori!" Naruto cheered in unison with Ino and the other girls (Sakura, Hinata, and Tenten).

We both shot forward at such a rapid speed, I guarantee nobody saw it. Our fists collided, causing a powerful wave to come from it, knocking the examiner back a few feet. Gaara and I, on the other hand, were thrown back into the walls behind us.

"That hurt," I groaned quietly. I instantly gripped my wrist as pain flashed through it. I stared at Gaara's body against the wall. I put my right hand against my left wrist, starting to use a healing jutsu to heal it. I kept my eye on Gaara so I didn't get attacked.

I knew all 4 Hokage were watching along with the Kazekage, the Mizukage, the Raikage, and the Tsuchikage.

Hokage - Konohagakure / The Hidden Leaf Village

Kazekage - Tsunagakure / The Hidden Sand Village

Mizukage - Kirigakure / The Hidden Mist Village

Raikage - Kumogakure / The Hidden Lightning Village

Tsuchikage - Iwagakure / The Hidden Stones Village

I swallowed my instant thought of making a fool of myself in front of them. Do I care if I lose? Yes and no. I took a deep breath before looking back at Gaara.

He pulled away from the wall, rubbing his wrist while glaring deadly at me. He looked at my wrist that I was healing. His eyes narrowed. Just a little longer, and it'll be healed.

Apparently I don't have that time. He came at me again, his fist drew back. I just barely dodged. He gripped my good wrist, throwing me to the side, and sent me rolling against the ground, knocking my breath away.

Seconds later, he was on top of me. His hand secured my wrists above me so I couldn't push him off. I wiggled around helplessly. He used his free hand to punch me in the ribs. I pulled my knee up, kneeing him in the gut, but he didn't budge.

"You've gotten tougher," he whispered in my ear. "But that's not good enough."

902 words.