Ch. 1

The warm weather had slowly started to bloom. It wouldn't be long before I could see the flowers sprouting amongst the courtyard. My office window faced the streets but I still caught a glimpse of the flowerbeds at the deli across the street. They were no longer bare as the months before as a solid green hue took place.

A smile crept across my lips as I could only imagine what beauty the spring time would bring. My thoughts were cut short by the door slamming in the lobby. Cigarette smoke soon filled the stale air and I sat waiting for my boss to ask a million questions about today's numbers .

"How are you today, Miss Weathers?"

"Oh, Goodmorning Polly. I am well , how are you?"

"Surprised to see me?" She raised an eyebrow . Her smirk gave hint that she knew who I was anticipating.

"No , I was just expecting Thomas. He hasn't been in lately, I was wondering if he had fallen ill?" I fiddled with my pen nervously.

"Tommy is fine. Just had some buisness to attend too. I'm assuming Arthur has been by to keep you updated ?" She strolled into the main office with ease, heading straight for the desk.

The main office always sent chills down my spine . Mainly because this was where the Shelbys worked , this is where all of their important documents and prized possessions lie. There are men who would kill to step foot in this office and here I was lingering at the threshold.

"Yes, he brought some papers by yesterday morning. Said he would be gone to the races tommorow"

"Good, at least one of them needs to be there to keep up our end of the bargin." She continued flipping through papers before packing some tightly in her purse and heading towards the door.

"If Tommy asks tell him the documents are with me" she stopped and glanced back straight into my eyes "or don't" she shrugged and continued out into the foyer.

"Yes ma'am, I'll let him know if he notices their missing." I smiled .

She made her way out the door and soon I was sitting in silence again with dusty books and tinted papers. I glanced back and forth to the clock on the wall waiting for the time to strike so I could go home.

5 o'clock arrived and it was finally time to head to the Garrison . I always reported there afterwards to drop numbers off for Thomas. Typically one of the Shelby brothers were always there, unless buisness was booming. When I walked in I headed straight for the bar to greet the bartender. It was certiuous and I really wanted to make more friends in this business than enemies. I took a glass of whiskey off the bar and headed to the private room near the door , my paperwork in hand.

"Arthur I needed to discuss the numbers you got from the auction" I started but was greeted from an empty chair where Arthur normally sat.

"He's gone for the night, you'll have to talk to me"

I looked over to see Thomas taking a long drag off his cigarette and eyeing the papers in my hand.

"Mr. Shelby I didn't realize you'd be here"

"I didn't make the announcement"

I sat the paperwork infront of him on the table and took a seat. I downed the whiskey before setting the glass aside and took a deep breath .

"Arthur went to a horse auction and the numbers he put down for the horse are-"

"Completely outragous" Thomas finished for me. He let out a soft chuckle before leaning back in his seat and studying the papers further. "And you caught this?" His deep blue eyes peered over at me.

"Yes . I double check numbers to save you money . In case of things like this" My palms were beginning to sweat and my breathing hitched.

I had been working for Mr. Shelby for over 2 years now, but never adjusted to his attitude and brooding looks. We had only talked a handful of times about things other than work and rarely had I ever been alone with him outside of a family meeting. It was very seldom that I had Thomas Shelbys full attention .

"I can see why Aunt Pol hired you" He laughed setting the papers back onto the table before reaching for his glass and throwing it back.

"You've been gone alot lately I noticed , is everything okay?" I asked.

He seemed to wince at my question slightly , "Everything is fine . Just had some things I needed to finish up in London"

I nodded not pressing any further . Part of me wanted to know what he was up too but I knew it wasn't legal nor any of my buisness.

"Are you married?" Thomas gestured to the ring I had on a chain around my neck.

"Widowed. He died in the war. We were only married briefly" my gaze met the floor trying to escape his question.

"I'm very sorry for your loss." He cleared his throat and stood from his seat. I watched him adjust his jacket and slowly reach over to put his hand on my shoulder. "You are apart of this family, Emilia . You let me know if there's ever anything I can do"

His footsteps seemed to echo in the small area as he walked out taking some of the papers with him. I let out a small sigh of relief once he was gone. My mind raced replaying the conversation. Maybe if I had pried just alittle further I could've opened up his backstory. I wanted to know more about this family. I wanted to know Thomas Shelby.