Ch. 16

My eyes followed the man as he made his rounds shaking everyone's hand. His fingers were lined with silver rings, one dull from a fresh coat of blood that covered it. His chuckle seemed to echo off the walls straight towards me. It was like he was taunting me with each step.

"You've got to be joking, Emilia. This isn't a choice." Thomas whispered beside my ear.

"It is. And your making it now, Thomas." I whispered back , "I'll die before I serve that man again."

"I wasn't aware there would be some eye candy, ay?" He had finally reached us. His hand was extended out to me. I wanted to swipe it away but I felt like that would be a mistake I wouldn't be able to recant.

Slowly I took his hand in mine preparing to shake it. Before I could he lifted my knuckles to his mouth and placed a small kiss across them. I could feel Thomas tense beside me , but he didn't move. After what seemed like eternity of him smirking down on me , he swapped his attention to Thomas. They both shook hands and I watched closely.

"Thomas Shelby, but you can call me Thomas."

"It's nice to finally meet you, Mr. Shelby. Adonis Smith, you can call me Adonis."

"That's a unique name." Thomas scoffed.

"One of a kind, just like the owner." He winked before turning and walking to his empty seat at the table.

The room fell silent once he had taken a seat. I wasn't sure if it was from Adonis's stature or they were eager for business. By the looks of it , some of the most important people from Wall Street were here. Most of them I had worked for and very few were clueless as to who I was. This was not a good situation for me but fear was washed away by guilt. Guilt from the fact that I was the one who put Thomas in danger despite the popular belief that it would be the opposite.

Once back home , Arthur had pulled me aside and explained the depth of what it meant to be near the Shelby family. He explained Thomas and all of his flaws . I remember laughing it off and telling him it wasn't so cut and dry as he made it out to be. The look in his eyes told me everything I needed to know, this line of work was dangerous.

I had accepted that. Day after day it became apart of who I was, I was becoming a Shelby. But never did I think I would make it this far. I took a long deep breath and quickly started to access the situation further. Thomas was correct, we didn't have a choice, at least not tonight. Not in this dark basement surrounded by Adonis and his minions. Tonight my job was to be a pretty face and play secretary.

"Tell me, Adonis. What do you need from me?" Thomas spoke first.

His voice cut through the air, only the clinking of utensils to plates remained.

"I want you to race my horse."

Thomas chuckled,"What's a man like you doing with a race horse?"

"Making money, same as you." He shrugged, "I figured if you rigged the system for yourself it wouldn't be that hard to do it for a friend. We are friends aren't we , Thomas?"

"I'd say more like acquaintances. But nonetheless, I'm here on personal gain. My business here has nothing to do with the Shelby company and I would like to keep it that way."

"That would be a problem. I have no interest in only you. To put it quite frankly , Mr. Shelby , I have no use for you."

"We'll race your horse. You pay for shipment and all equipment used. You will also pay for Mr. Shelby's personal trainer to train your horse." I spat out, " under the condition you work with us directly , not the others in the company."

All eyes laid on me. Adonis laughed raising an eyebrow. He sipped on a wine glass quietly seeming to think over things for a moment.

"What is my incentive?" Thomas asked.