Ch. 22

After our conversation it was as if Tommy had changed. A switch had flipped in his head almost as soon as I finished speaking. Thomas had a strange way of showing anger towards me. It was either in silence or he ignored me completely. Considering we were in the same room on a boat made it extremely difficult. He hadn't spoken much this morning while we were boarding and slipped off while I bathed to go to the bar.

Great. I thought to myself, what's better than being locked in with a drunk Shelby.

My mind still whirled around everything that had happened while we were in America. The instances with Adonis seemed to crowd my brain , flooding over more memories of my past. Everytime I closed my eyes it was like reliving the days where I felt hopeless. The days where I was trapped with no one to turn too. For awhile I paced the room, feeling the boat toss and turn over the waves. Just when I thought I'd become sick , the movement would die down to a gentle rock. This time our window was slightly larger, but still close to the bottom of the ship. The clash of blue beat against the glass before washing away down the metal frame. I watched it over and over. My eyes began to make out little creatures that held tight to the water, but as long as I had been staring there was no telling if I was seeing real things or imagining things.

Finally I rested in the purple Velvet chair in the corner beside the window. My hair still wrapped tightly in a towel i decided it was best to just wait for Tommy to return than roam the boat. Even though it felt safe here, I wasn't convinced Adonis had let us sail alone.

It wasn't long before Thomas came stumbling in. His suit jacket clung to his skin barely sitting on his shoulders. A ciggerate hung from his lips unlit , but from how wrinkled it had become I made the assumption it had been there quite awhile. He said nothing at first as his eyes scanned the bedroom hazily. Finally his gaze landed on me in the corner. He looked my body up and down but settled on my face , if he could discern which one was truly me.

"H-hello Emilia" He slurred.

"Mr. Shelby." I returned. There had only been one other time I had seen him this drunk and it was when the company went bankrupt. He got plastered at the Garrison before pulling double pistols on his brothers. Lucky for them, they weren't loaded.

But even that night his words to me and Polly came in gentle strides. I held his side helping him to bed and his only response was , "Thank you Ms. Weathers. I owe you a raise . When we have money of course."

Having that as my only experience put my mind at ease of being here with him now. I wasn't sure what would come out of his mouth, but I wasn't too worried.

"I'm sorry." He said.

The words took me aback. I was expecting profanities or jumbled banter. But an apology was far from anything I had imagined.

"For what?"

"For everything. For bringing you here, for dragging you into this. For bringing back terrible memories." He plopped onto the bed laying back before he fell. "I am so so sorry for being a shitty boss and a shitty partner."

"You don't have to apologize.  I am fine, really."

"No!" He shouted , "I do have to apologize , Emilia. Because I have been a fucking asshole about all of this. And now I'm a drunk asshole."

"Then go to sleep and we can talk when you wake up."

"I love you"

"I love you, Thomas."

"No , Emilia. I really love you. More than I have ever loved another woman. I have loved you longer than I let on. I watched you in that office , you were so graceful. So smart."

My cheeks warmed but I remained silent. To be honest I was unsure of how to respond. For my hearts sake, I was hoping this was sober thoughts and not just him drunk.

"Marry me ."

"What?"

"Marry me , Emilia. Please. We could find a priest on the boat or I could arrange as soon as we dock."

"Why don't you sleep on it, I don't think you know what your asking."

"I've already bought the ring. I've had it for a long time, just never had the proper time to ask."

"And right now is?"

He chuckled deep in his chest as his head turned sheepishly in my direction, "No. I guess your right. Forget about this conversation . I'll try again another time. But Emilia."

"Yes Tommy?"

"You are fucking beautiful , you know that? When I'm sober , I'll show you ."

"Sleep. We can get dinner when you wake up." I walked over and laid down next to him letting out a soft sigh.

He didn't object , just slowly drifted off to sleep.  His hand laid perfectly in mine , our palms pressed tight. I watched his expression drop as he relaxed and then his chest began to rise and fall carefully. When I was sure he was in a deep sleep I snuggled close into his side and allowed the sound of his heartbeat to hum me to sleep.

-

I felt Thomas sit up onto the side of the bed. He lit a ciggerate and soon the room filled with a deep smoke. The lamps on either side of us flickered through the dark room . My legs stretched for a moment before I sat up too, looking over at him.

"Feeling better?" I teased.

"My head is pounding. But otherwise I would say yes."

I laughed softly before standing up and looking through my suitcase for some clothes .

"I'm sorry for coming back so drunk."

"That's the second apology you've given me today, you must be on a roll."

"Second ? Honestly, I don't even remember the first. Was it good ?" He raised an eyebrow.

"It was pretty sincere . You even called yourself an asshole. So I'll take it"

He chuckled, "That's hard to believe but I'm glad i kept you entertained."

Finally I found a soft off-white floral dress and started to slip it on. Before I could pull it up all the way , Thomas wrapped his arms around my waist pulling me back into his chest. His lips pressed hard against the back of my head and we both admired our reflections in the mirror infront of us.

I took in a deep breath before continuing to dress, with his help. He buttoned the back and then turned me to where we were facing one another. He leaned down placing his lips on mine , the taste of whiskey still lingering on his mouth. It reminded me of the nights before. The taste stung against my skin slightly, causing me to take small breaths between each movement. He pulled me closer , his tongue dancing across my bottom lip as to plead for entrance. 

I parted my lips allowing him to slip his tongue in , working around my own. His hands remained fixed on my hips holding me in place. After a while I pulled away trying to catch my breath. His lips upturned into a smirk watching me pant quietly.

"Let's go eat , you said you were starving."