Ch. 30

"So how long until he finds out about Raymond?" I called out to the bathroom as I watched Tommy's looming figure through the glass shower wall.

"Soon." He grumbled.

"How do you know ? We're there others ?"

"No, but I'm sure the word will make its way to Adnois as quickly as I want it too."

Sighing I picked at the threading along the comforter and glanced around the room. Thomas had moved some of his things back up here including his desk. The dark faded wood stood piled high with paperwork and books. A sore sight for my eyes, but the thought of Thomas being close by calmed my nerves.

"How long until he comes over here?"

"It takes a week to get here . My guess by the end of the month." His words ran short and muffled under the pouring water.

"So we have two weeks to prepare?"

"Emilia , there is no preparation needed. I'll have one of the men stake out the docks and take care of it as soon as they arrive."

Even with the certainty rooted deep in his voice, I couldn't help but worry. There was no way of feeling absolutely safe until Adonis was gone. Despite being this far away from him I still felt as if his gaze followed me at every corner and doorstep.

"You have nothing too worry about ." Thomas spoke as he came out of the bathroom. A navy blue towel wrapped tight around his waist stopping just above his ankles .

I looked up at his face watching several drops of water bead from the tips of his hair down onto his cheeks. Each streak it left curving over his jawline and disappearing down his neck.

"I'm always going to worry, Tommy." I reached up and ran my finger softly over the white scar left on his ribcage. It was small, but cut into a jagged shape .

"That" Thomas looked over the scar himself, "Is a reminder that I will go to the ends of the earth if it means I see you safe."

"It should be a reminder not to get into more shitty situations." I snapped, "But obviously it doesn't work."

He chuckled and grabbed my wrist bringing it up to his face before placing soft kisses on my knuckles. Some of the water trickled from his forehead onto my fingers and raced down the length of my arm .

"I love you. " He whispered.

"I love you too."

-

Thomas was adamant that business ran as usual, no matter what came our way . We still returned to the office every morning and even planned the occasional horse race on Saturdays. After a few days a news head line struck every street corner , turning a giant spotlight on the Shelbys and their businesses.

American buisness man found dead inside his apartment shortly after meeting with The Peaky Blinders.

Some came to the Garrison to ask questions or spark some trouble at the bar. But most avoided the family like the plague. Unfortunately,  I wasn't so lucky.

"You work for The Blinders, don't you?" A short dark haired man asked me as I stood outside of the local Cafe .

"I'm sorry, who are you?" I questioned.

"No one of any concern. Just thought I'd warn you to be careful around those people. You might end up like the last American."

"I assure you my husband had nothing to do with that mans death and I would appreciate it if you stopped spreading false information around." I spoke in such confidence even I almost believed myself.