Ch. 37

We walked for what seemed like forever. After the first few twist and turns I stopped counting them. The pattern of our footsteps stopped as we descended even further and the terrain spread new until Adonis grabbed hold of my wrist stopping me abruptly.  There was a sound of a creaking door frame and then I felt the outside air rush in around us. He pushed me further and I followed suit knowing that we had left the tunnel system , but i had no idea where we had ended up.

I tried to calm my breathing and go back to that night again with Thomas . Letting the smell of pine and ice blue eyes rope me back to the moment. I focused deeply on his words until I could hear them again and mulled over the memory once more.

"So where do these tunnels go?" I had asked.

He reached up caressing my jawline in his hand before leaving a soft kiss on my lips.

"They have different exits. One in the stable, one to the Arena, one to the bar, and then several outside. Even one on the outskirts of the city, like where we found the doctor."

Fear crept up and seized my bones. For a moment I thought I'd faint but I held strong and kept moving , trying not to give way to what I now realized. Adonis wasn't bringing me to talk he was taking me back to America.

As every scenario ran rampant through my head it was all blocked out when I heard more voices coming from infront of us. The pits of my stomach churned knowing it would be his people and there was no way I could beat the numbers.

Once we arrived , to where I assumed from the sounds , where the others were standing he ripped the bag from my head and stood back.

My eyes squinted at the sudden burst of sunlight hitting them and I tried to make out the figures around us. My eyesight widened and faded until finally I was able to see the disaster laid before me.

Four men sat on their knees with hands bound behind their backs. Each had the same cloth sack over their head except the last one , who's hat still fit snug on his head and a damn ciggerate still blazing between his lips.

Thomas.

My instinct was to run towards him but I didn't and the first man's sobs caused me to jerk my gaze over,  scanning the figure.

Those sobs were not from a man, but a boy. It was Finn.

After that conclusion I started to take in every detail checking not only the men on the ground but the ones standing around us.

Three of Adonis's men stood tall , each armed with a pistol their eyes laid on me. It was as if they wanted me to run towards the men or even away so they had a chance to act out violence.

"Now the families together." Adonis cackled his hair tossing in the wind, "I didn't want to end his life without someone here to witness it because who would believe the notorious Thomas Shelby actually being cut down?"

"All you want is for me to go back with you right ? I have all of his paperwork copied , every number , I'll bring it and we can work from there." I pleaded , knowing my words held no weight in the matter.

"But Emilia, your actions have consequences.  Not only have you caused such a fuss but you got one of my men killed . Brutally.  So with that being said , you chose. Who goes first ?" He motioned to the Shelby Brothers lined up in a row.

"I refuse."

He let out a brief sigh before removing his own pistol from his waist band and moving it to lay against Finns head. Finns body froze and his sobbing ceased,  I doubt if he was even breathing.

"You choose or he goes first."

My mind twisted with onset panic. There wasn't many options for me now that didn't end with the death of at least one Shelby brother. And I knew if it was Tommy's choice who he would pick and what he expects of me.

"Thomas." I said and this was the only time his name ever brought a sour taste on my tongue. "I choose Thomas."

"Interesting. Trying to give him diginity?" Adonis raised an eyebrow before walking over to where Thomas sat.

Thomas's demeanor did not falter and he sat stone faced as ever. The only movements his made were to purse his lips occasionally sucking more smoke back into his mouth and then letting it rumble from his nostrils. But the dead look in his eye scared me .

"May I say goodbye to him?" My voice shook and I sniffled slightly, "Please Adonis."

"Be my guest. But make it quick because we have a ship to catch." He clicked.

I walked past every figure knelt to the ground until I reached Tommy's. Looking down at him my eyes began to sting at the thought of his untimely death , but I pushed it away . Just for the moment.

I knelt before him so we would be eye level and his gaze flickered up into mine. Despite what I had said , the softness rose in his expression and I got the warm feeling again pounding in my chest. My heart even fluttered , only something he could do in a situation like this.

"I love you Thomas. I am so sorry." And before he could respond I removed the ciggerate and pressed my lips hard against his . He didn't move but leaned into my kiss as it was his last. I held hard with both of my hands on his head my fingers dancing through his hair and over his skin until finally I pulled away and looked over him once more.

His lips tugged upward in a smug grin , one that I was so eager to see in a time like this. His breathing rugged morphing into a low chuckle as he spoke .

"You are brilliant, Ms. Weathers."

I leaned in closely to where my lips graced the skin of his ear softly making sure my voice was low enough only he could hear, "This is what ? The third time I've saved your ass? I expect a raise."

Moving back to my feet I turned towards Adonis repainting my sorrow on my expression as I stepped towards him, "Thank you for allowing me to have a few words."

"Oh of course, you're too pretty for me to decline." He gave a wink.

"Its the only nice thing you've ever done for me and it will also your last."

Before my words settled for him I slug my hand out revealing the razor blades I had swiped from Tommy's hat and sliced into Adonis's face , straight across his eyes.

"By order of the Peaky fucking Blinders"