Ch. 34

After Thomas shot Michael, everything moved very quickly. Polly accused me of getting into Tommy's mind and feeding him lies about the family inevitably turning him on his own blood. But when not only Thomas but all of his brothers stood up for me, she fled the house searing with anger.  I couldn't blame her, it was easier too believe I was the culprit and not her nephew she adored.  Despite everything, when the time came, she still took Michael's side on the entire situation. Claiming he was smart for pairing with Adonis and getting his own job without relying on his family line to earn him a living. We haven't heard much from her since.

The brothers pretty much stayed at our house every night incase of an attack . The only exception was Jon who went back and forth between houses because of Esme and his children. Sometimes Esme would come here with him to stay and I often wondered where the kids were, but decided not to ask. Thomas was stuck in the same grooling routine of waking up and doing buisness from sun up to sundown where he would burst into our room at late hours of the night in a drunken lumber, just to crash at the foot of the bed and remain until sunlight breached. The bed grew cold and I grew fed up with his behavior. He refused to let me go to the office after Michael had been released from the hospital saying it was too dangerous. Not to mention the security he put on our house was suffocating , men armed at each door. The house was becoming unbearable and I was becoming stir crazy staring at green faded wallpaper twelve hours a day until someone gave in and walked me around the courtyard.

As night fell it was now a Friday, exactly one week from when Michael had been shot. The next day Thomas and his men would be attending a horse race due to their absence at the last which he announced was "because of family difficulties." I couldn't sleep and Thomas had not returned from the office yet. Footsteps echoed in the hallway as a few of the men paced back and forth outside of my bedroom, I assumed ready to switch shifts. The measures Thomas had went to were absolutely outrageous in my opinion. There was no reason for these people to be here guarding me and this house  when Adonis wanted him dead.

You said it yourself , Emilia. He wants you so he can finish what he started. Tommy's words from our last conversation rang through my thoughts and left a sour taste on my tongue. This wasnt about family , death, or business. This was about Thomas being jealous and overbearing.

I tossed my legs over the side of the bed and stood quietly hoping the floorboards wouldn't creak. Slipping my black boots on , I pulled a small blanket over my shoulders and headed towards the window. Even though I was on the second floor, lattice covered the back brick wall of the house conveniently placed by the window. Most likely it was for Thomas to make a grand escape in fatal situations but for me it was my way out of this stale stuffy  four walls. I carefully scaled the wall making it to the grass before taking a look around. The only guard back here was at the opposite corner with his back turned, no doubt guarding the backyard gate. It took no more than five minutes for me to slip past the patio furniture and through the garden back to the woodline.  Once I made it into the woods I quickly jogged too put some distance between me and the estate. I was far enough away now that the crunching leaves beneath my boots wouldn't raise alarm but I still carefully thought out my direction incase Thomas put provisions this far out. Finally I reached a halt and took some deep ragged breaths leaning against the tree beside me . The moonlight poured over the forest leaving siloutes of branches on the ground , swaying back and forth with the wind. The wind . It was the only thing I could hear this far out and it truly brought nothing more than peace. It seemed to dance across my cheeks and press further into my loosely tied hair before slipping into the distance. I basked in it , taking air into my lungs like I hadn't been outside in days. Because honestly, I hadn't. Not like this. Not completely free and independent,  just as I am. There was a fallen log covered in moss and debris which now looked most inviting. I plopped down on top of it, straddling my legs on either side before carefully laying back and peering up at the sky. Tonight was clear, not a cloud in sight as each star seemed to paint itself into my view. The moon lay bright and full bringing my attention too its face. My lips turned upward into a grin and I felt myself welcoming happiness for the first time in awhile. Happiness I made completely for myself without relying on a man with a thick accent and blue eyes.  But nonetheless, Mr. Shelby made me very happy. Even in his cold tone and avoiding stares he still brought a sense of comfort when he approached. It was almost a soft melting emotion.