A Homeland Unknown

"Just as I suspected, nothing. Not only are your homelands not listed, they are not on any map from any point in history."

Elle crossed her arms anxiously. It was only now she was realizing exactly how far from home she was. If she could even consider it home. Yu groaned, face planting into an atlas. Crowley turned to them, an almost accusatory glint in his eye.

"Now, are you QUITE sure that you come from such a place? That wasn't some sort of lie, or jape?"

Elle nodded her head, while a muffled "why would we lie about that?" Could be heard from between Yu's hood and the thick tome he was currently resting his face on.

"If that's the case, then the only explanation is that you've come from another planet. Or perhaps you were summoned here from another dimension?"

Yu's head jerked up, his hood falling back as he looked at the crow man with wide incredulous eyes. Elle felt a headache coming on.

"Another dimension?!"

"Yeah, that's about my luck."

"Show me everything that either of you brought here with you. Do you have some form of identification? A driver's license perhaps? Or even a...shoe? You both seem a tad bit...empty handed."

Elle and Yu patted around for anything in any pockets they may have, both frustratingly coming up empty. Elle was impressed with the size of the pockets, though. She could fit a phone and a whole bag of chips in there easily. Yu was...less calm about the situation.

"Come to think of it, where's my wallet and phone?!"

Elle sighed, sticking her hands in her pockets and shaking her head.

"Well, this is quite the predicament. I cannot have someone with no aptitude for magic bumbling about my magic academy."

The girl stepped closer to Yu, wrapping her arm around his. If they were about to get kicked out, and she had a feeling they were, she would figure something out. She's had to manage being locked out of the house for days before, she could probably find a way for them to survive, at least short term. She'd steal if it came down to it.

Yu mistook her caution for worry and shot her what he hoped was a reassuring smile. Surely Crowley wouldn't just kick them to the curb, right? At the very least, he had a reputation to uphold. He was always going on about how "kind and gracious" he was, after all.

"And yet, as an educator, I am loath to expel two young people without a cent to their names, or any ability to contact their guardian... Truly, my grace is boundless."

He totally called it. Yu sighed in relief while Elle blinked in confusion. She fully expected to get kicked out. No way would they be allowed to stay for free. There had to be some kind of catch.

"Hmmmmm...Ah! There is a vacant building on this campus. It was, in fact, used as a dorm a long time ago. With a proper cleaning, it should be habitable enough. Out of the profound kindness of my heart, I will allow you to live there for the time being."

A whole BUILDING?! One that was actually intended to be lived in at some point, no less! It sounded too good to be true. Then again, her standards were pretty low in the first place, and she was already fairly biased towards abandoned buildings anyway. She shook Yu's arm in barely restrained excitement. Finally, some good news.

"In the meantime, we will investigate other ways to send you home. Dear me, but I am a gracious man indeed! A model educator, one might say."

Elle wasn't really sure what this man wanted from them, but didn't see him as an immediate threat or someone who would lash out at her, so she figured it was safe to give him a small smattering of applause, still having one of her arms awkwardly looped around Yu's.