Toss of Destruction

"Grim!"

Yu called out to his other half-student from across the courtyard. Said monster bristled, ready to bolt.

"Mrrah! I've had it with these boring classes! I ain't going back and you can't make me!"

Elle sighed, sitting on the sidewalk and crossing her legs. The monster's posture relaxed slightly, confusion evident on his features. "Grim. Why did you want to go to this school?"

He paused, blinking. "To....to be the greatest mage ever, duh! But those classes aren't doing that at all! I wanna pull off cool spells and blow stuff up!"

She sighed again, thinking. "So, you don't want to be a student at Night Raven anymore?"

"N-Now, hold on! I never said anything like that!" Grim loudly protested. Elle tilted her head to the side, regarding him calmly.

"Students are required to take the classes, Grim. If you want to go back to being a janitor and getting lessons from me after work, we can do that." She stated. Grim bristled, jumping to his feet.

"No way! I wanna be a student!"

"You want to be a student, but you don't want to participate in the activities that being a student entails? Grim..." she leveled him with a steady gaze. "You don't have to be a student, you know. There's more than one way to learn, and we have access to the materials. If you really don't want to, then..."

"Fnyaa! I get it! I get it! I wanna be a student!" Grim cried, dashing over to her and placing his paws on her leg. ".....I'll take the dumb boring classes." He said, staring moodily at the sidewalk.

"If that's your decision." Elle smiled, patting him on the head.

"Those magic lessons of YOURS better be super cool to make up for it, though!"

She laughed softly. "I'll do my best."

Yu watched the interaction with wide eyes. He honestly didn't expect that to work. He didn't think Grim was able to be reasoned with outside of bribery. Elle really looked at things from all angles, huh. He approached her as she stood up, Grim comfortably nestled in her arms.

"Ready to go?" She asked.

"Oh, uh, yeah. Let's head back up to the others." Yu gestured towards a window, where a red and a blue head of hair quickly disappeared, ducking away. Yu let out a quiet laugh. "Those two just aren't honest."

Elle nodded while making her way back into the building. "We're stuck with them though. Nothing brings people closer together than experiencing the horrors."

Yu ran a hand through his hair. "We've sure learned that firsthand. I really thought we were going to die for a moment there."

"Look on the bright side, though," Elle smiled. "We didn't."

...

After meeting back up with Ace and Deuce, the five first years headed to the cafeteria. The two Heartslabyul students led them to the lunch line, which Elle was grateful for since it was in a different place from where they picked up their lunches yesterday.

Grim perked right up from his deflated state the second he smelled food. Elle placed him down, against her better judgement. She didn't want him to be mad at her.
"Woo! Lunchtime at last!" He cheered. He sniffed the air, then made a mad dash for the source of the delicious smells. "Whoa!" The monster began to drool, "They got some good-lookin' grub!"

"Ooh, a buffet. That's fancy." Yu commented. He followed behind Grim at a much more casual pace. Elle hovered anxiously between him, Ace, and Deuce. Yes, the layout was impressive, but she felt very out of place. Grim shouting and pointing really wasn't helping to quell any of her anxiety.