A Set of Four

Deuce still hadn't shown up by the time the four of them had found a table to sit at, so Ace had gone back to grab him. Grim went straight to work eating and giving his surprisingly eloquent opinions on the food.

"So, how did you even do that? Back in the line, I mean. That was really impressive." Yu spoke up. Elle tilted her head.

"Oh, you mean the throw? Well, Marie took an interest in wrestling and jiu-jitsu a couple years ago, so I ended up taking those classes as well. I...wasn't very good at it, but I did learn some self defense stuff that's really helped me out."

"Huh. So she does that kind of stuff too?"

"She does everything." Elle raised an eyebrow. "And she does it well. It's actually astounding how quickly she gets an understanding of things. I definitely can't keep up with it."

Yu paused, looking over at her relaxed smile. She always seemed to be performing a very delicate balancing act between admiration and...self loathing? That didn't quite seem like the right term to him. Whatever it was, it didn't sit right with him, but he didn't know what to say. What could he even say?

"Jeez, just get over it already! You're lucky I didn't just let you stand there like an idiot the whole lunch period!"

"Sh-Shut up!"

Ace and Deuce's bickering brought the conversation to an end before he had the chance to say anything at all. Elle's expression shifted to a more neutral one, any trace of the hollow look in her eyes now nowhere to be seen.

"Took you long enough!" Grim cried.

Deuce ducked his head, glancing over at the girl sitting at the table across from him. He looked away before he even made eye contact.
"Right....sorry, I was just, uh...distracted."

Ace smirked. "Ohhhh?"

He received a smack on the arm in response. "Dude, shut up!"

Ace shrugged. He still had that mischievous glint in his eyes, but he let the subject drop for now. He sat down and began to tear through his lunch. Deuce hesitantly sat down as well after a moment.

Elle watched his behavior, a faint sadness in her chest. He really was terrified of her, huh? She had thought they could maybe be friends. Well, at least close enough that she would be somewhat comfortable going to him for group projects. But knowing that approaching him would probably just stress him out... She didn't want to do that to him. She'd just do what she could to avoid him, if that would make him more comfortable. She kept her eyes on the wood of the table.

"So," Grim spoke up between bites, "I saw your guys' dorm, but what are the other ones like?"

"I'm sure you're familiar with the statues of the Great Seven?" An unfamiliar voice said. "Night Raven College has a dorm themed after each one."

Elle cautiously glanced up to see a boy with light orange hair and green eyes, as well as the boy she saw Riddle talk to when she visited Heartslabyul. His name was Trey, correct? These two had matching card suits as well, on their cheekbones instead of over their eyes. Huh. Now all four were in one place.

"Bwah! You're that guy from this morning!" Ace cried, pointing an accusatory finger at the green eyed student.

Grim hopped to his feet. "You tricked us into paintin' those dumb roses!"

The student rolled a lock of hair between his fingers, looking away innocently. "'Tricked' is such an ugly word. Do you think I wanted to spend MY morning painting roses? It's dorm policy! I was just following orders."

"And grinning like a fiend all the while." Deuce muttered. He wasn't buying any of what this guy was saying.

Elle leaned over to Yu. "So, this is the guy who you met this morning?" She whispered.