Tunnels Without a Guide

The group had been exploring the mine for quite a while. Once the two of them reunited with the others, Ace acted like the previous conversation never even happened, which Elle thought was maybe a good thing? At least it meant he wasn't going to talk about it anytime soon. Well, she wouldn't mention it if he didn't. The only real tell was that he seemed a little more annoyed than before. She decided she should probably apologize to him at some point. Suddenly, Deuce froze, sticking his arm out in front of the group.

"Huh? Hold up!"

"What now?" Ace complained. He had barely avoided ramming directly into Deuce's outstretched arm, only for Yu to bump into his back. Grim hissed at the sudden obstruction in his path and batted at the spade marked boy's leg.

Elle hung at the back of the group, distancing herself after the previous conversation. If they needed her, they would call out to her, probably. She didn't want to bother or annoy anyone else, so she would only speak when spoken to for a while.

"There's something there!"

"Myah?!"

Sure enough, before the five of them were two whole ghosts. Elle somehow felt that she couldn't just walk through them this time. Her anxiety was put in the back of her mind for the moment as her instinct to protect took over. She stepped closer to Yu, earning a side eye from Ace.

"Hee hee hee hee! Visitors! The first in ten years!"

"Do make yourselves at home... You can stay forever!"

"Alright, time to go."

Just like when she first woke up in the Mirror Chamber, Elle Grabbed Yu's wrist, this time grabbing Deuce's as well, and took off into the mine. Ace and Grim stood there with wide eyes before they sprung into action themselves.

"What?! Hey! Wait up!"

"Why am I gettin' deja vu over here?! Don't just leave me behind!"

The group of five ran through the tunnels, Ace and Deuce occasionally firing spells back at the ghosts, who were in hot pursuit. Elle had to let go of the blue haired boy so that he could support from the back (after Ace yelled at him for being useless and making him do all the work) but was still holding onto Yu, who was trailing behind her. Despite already beginning to run out of energy, she was considering picking up Grim as well, since he was looking pretty winded.

"Haah, haah, They're still hot on our tails!" He cried.

The ghosts, strangely enough, also seemed pretty winded. This confused Elle, as well as the rest of the group, apparently.

"What's the...hurry? Ease... Ease up a bit, would you?"

"And just how's a ghost short of breath?!" Grim shouted indignantly. Deuce put a hand to his chin in thought.

"Maybe ghosts have lungs?"

Ace by this point had heard just about enough of this stupid conversation. He roughly bumped against Yu's shoulder as he glared over at Deuce.

"We don't have time for this! Let's MOVE!"

"Oh, you're right. C'mon, let's go!"

Elle scooped up Grim as she hurriedly rushed to catch up with Ace, Yu not far behind. Deuce clicked his tongue, but followed soon after. That Ace guy... He was right, but did he really have to be so rude about it?

A couple more minutes of running later, and Elle was reaching her limit. Sure, she was fast in short bursts, but stamina wise? She was...not very good at long distance running, or anything that required large amounts of stamina, really. She never breathed a word of complaint, though. As long as everyone else was running, she would run too. Grim, noticing she had fallen notably behind the rest of the group (since he was being carried in her arms) spoke up.