Paperwork Grief

"So do people just have their measurements memorized? And that's normal?"

"I dunno. I know my height and waist, but that's it."

Elle knocked her head against the coffee table. "I don't even know my height..."

It had been about ten minutes since Yu, Elle, and Grim had returned to Ramshackle. As promised, Grim had made a beeline for the bed as soon as he made it through the door, leaving Elle and Yu with the paperwork.

The student ID forms had been simple enough; all it required was their names, ages, birthdays, homelands, and dorm. The trouble came when they moved on to the uniform submission forms.

"So, do we need a measuring tape or something, then? Where are we supposed to find one of those?"

"There should be one in the attic if I'm not mistaken, little miss."

Elle stilled once she heard the unfamiliar voice behind her. Of course the ghosts were listening. She should have known. She didn't have anything personal against the ghosts, she just hated how they could be anywhere at any time. They felt like omnipotent security guards.

She looked to Yu, desperately hoping that he would speak to the ghost instead of her. She wasn't sure why, but she really didn't want to acknowledge them if at all possible. That...was probably rude, but her anxiety left her paralyzed. She just hoped that they wouldn't think they had power over her. That's what scared her the most.

Yu met her eyes for a moment, and seemed to understand, at least somewhat. He smiled at the ghastly being behind her.
"There is? That's convenient. Could you get it for us?"

A low chuckle came from behind her. "Well, sure! If either of you two went up, the floor may collapse on you!" Elle watched as Yu's eyes trailed upwards, and let out a quiet breath. Yu raised an eyebrow.

"Not a fan of the ghosts?"

"Not a fan of being watched."

"Ah." Yu nodded in understanding. "I can see where you're coming from on that one. I don't think they mean any harm, at least."

Elle sighed. "I know that... I just wish the building was actually abandoned, you know? I can't hear where they are."

Yu furrowed his eyebrows. "Do you always listen for—ah, he's coming back." His gaze turned upward. Elle adjusted her posture, but otherwise showed no outward change. The warning that he gave let her mentally prepare a bit.

"Careful, it's a bit worn, but if you squint, you can probably make out the numbers! Hee hee hee!"

"Thank you so much, we really appreciate it." Elle nodded in agreement without looking up.

She felt something cold on top of her head.
"That Crowley was right; you really are quiet. Not great with new people? We don't bite, promise!"

Ah, shoot. He was trying to talk to her. She tried her best to answer at least somewhat normally. She attempted to laugh, though it came out as a soft puff. Her voice was barely above a whisper.
"Ah, yeah. You all seem alright, yeah." She paused, lamenting her inability to speak for the hundredth time, "......sorry."

"Hm? What was that?" She saw white in her peripheral. "Sorry, I'm an old man. My hearing isn't what it used to be! Not having ears will do that, you know." Her throat tightened even more, but she still attempted a laugh.

"I'm just... really quiet. Sorry."
She stared down at her lap, desperately hoping for the conversation to be over.

"I noticed!" She felt a cold hand pat her on the back. She suppressed a shudder. "Don't worry, you'll be out of your shell before you know it!" She sincerely doubted it, but nodded anyway. Please leave. Please leave. Please leave. There was an agonizing moment of silence.
"Well, looks like you two have a lot to do, so I'll leave you to it!"