The Headmage's Choice

A scream from Grim moments after he ran after Yu really didn't do much to ease Elle's growing nerves. She wasn't about to go upstairs and get murdered, though, so she focused on covering the rest of the leaks.

While she was in the kitchen, she discovered they actually did have running water! Hurray! The downside was they only had cold water, but water was water and she wasn't about to complain.

After managing to catch all of the leaks she could find, Elle flopped onto the couch, exhausted. Today was probably the strangest day of her life, and she honestly just wanted to go to sleep. She could hear Yu's voice somewhere upstairs, which reassured her he wasn't dead. That was always a good thing. She preferred her friends alive, honestly.

Her stomach growled. She forgot all she had to eat today was a pack of uncrustables from the vending machine a few minutes before the competition. She had yet to figure out food expenses for the both of them. What currency did this place even use?

Before she could wonder further, she heard the front door creak open. She poked her head into the entry hall, seeing none other than Dire Crowley standing there with two brown paper bags in his hands. His eyes locked onto her as soon as she stepped into the hall.

"Ah, El. I have brought you two dinner out of the kindness of my heart! ...Hm? Where has Yu meandered off to?"

"Uh, he's upstairs right now..."

"What was that? Please speak up, I'm afraid I can't understand a word you are saying."

Elle bit her lip. Speaking to authority figures really was difficult for her. Despite this, she tried again. She winced when it came out at roughly the same volume.

"Yu...went upstairs."

"...I haven't the slightest inkling. Did I not ask you to speak up? You are quite the diminutive speaker, aren't you?"

She nodded, looking down at the floor. It would be easier to just speak into his ear, but that would require getting closer to him and somehow communicating to him that he needed to crouch down, which was honestly too stressful for her to even imagine. Eventually she simply settled for pointing towards the staircase by the door.

"Ah, upstairs, is he?"

She nodded quickly, whispering out an apology. Crowley, of course, didn't hear it. He simply walked over to the muttering student, holding out the bag for her to take.

"Thank you, El. You've been a great help. Go ahead and start eating, I will deliver this to your friend. Since I am gracious, after all."

She gently took the bag from him, receiving a pat on the head once she did. She blinked in surprise, staring wide eyed at the bag in her hands. What? Huh? Why? Elle was horribly, horribly confused. She hadn't done much of anything at all. In fact, she wasn't even able to comply with his original request! Why would he thank her for that?

"Now then. I will be back."

While Elle's mind was still swirling with questions, the headmage turned and started climbing up the staircase. By the time she looked up, he was out of sight. She shook her head and quickly turned back towards the lounge to eat. She was hungry, after all. Best to eat quickly in case he changes his mind and takes it back.

...

She had nearly finished eating when Crowley came back downstairs, Yu and Grim in tow. Grim did not look happy, while Yu just looked tired. Elle tilted her head. Had something bad happened? Oh, right. Grim wasn't supposed to be in the school. She'd forgotten about that detail in the chaos of covering the leaks from the rain.