Stay with me - Part 1

"Mumma, papa, look, WE WON, I WON",she squealed showing her parents the trophy she won as the basketball team captain, in the interschool match.

"Aww, Lily honey, I'm so proud of you", her mother kissed her forehead. "Such a blessing", her father said as he hugged her.

She smiled feeling content. "I can't wait to show them", she said excited.

"Show us what?",asked a voice. She turned around and saw her eldest brother coming in with his girlfriend followed by her another brother.

She extended the trophy towards them with a big smile. Romeo accepted it with a smile on his face and Sandro appoched her and hugged her resting his head on hers.

"Congrats. I would be proud even if you didn't win, You are always a champ for me. Don't stress yourself", he said as he kissed her forehead and left to his room.

"Congrats, Lily", said Zara, Romeo's girlfriend, with a smile.

"Thank you", she replied.

"Another one to the collection", said Romeo as he squeezed her in his arms. She giggled and said,"there will be more".

He kissed her nose and went upstairs to fresh up.

Lily too left for her room and took a warm, relaxing shower.

"Yeah, you should have seen her face. It's like she saw a ghost", Lily laughed out, telling her family, about the prank she pulled on her best friend.

Romeo chuckled and said,"You'll get yourself in trouble one day". She wiggled her eyebrows and said,"That's why I have you and Sandro. Won't you back up your cuuuuteee sister?".

"Yeah, yeah, they will. Now eat", her mother scolded as Lily pouted and focused on her food.

"Cute", Sandro muttered as he shook his head.

"Please, Sandro, just hear me sing", Lily was pleading Sandro to hear the song she made herself.

"No", he said as he laid down on the bed. "No?",she questioned him as sheaid beside him, on her stomach. He nodded his head.

"You will listen. Otherwise", she said as she rolled over her body. He groaned. She knew he won't push her away. He finally said "okay okay, geez".

She smirked and began to sing. Sandro wanted nothing but the bed to swallow him. Her singing was horrible. But he didn't have the courage to say it aloud as he nodded his head, like he was enjoying.

"I'm getting late. Bye everyone", Lily said as she sprung up from the dining table. "Are you taking the car?", Romeo asked.

"No, running", she said as it was usual for her to jog to school as it was near and it will be a good exercise.

"Be safe", Sandro said. She showed the okay sign as she left the house.

After fifteen minutes, Romeo's phone rang. It was his sister's number.

"Is it Mr. Rodriguez?", a voice asked. Panic rushed through his body. "Who are you?",he asked calmly.

"I'm Maia. Lily Rodriguez got into an accident. We found your number in her phone. Please come to the City hospital ", said the person.

He hang up the call as panic was clear on his face. Sandro never saw his brother this worked up. "What happened?",he asked.

"L-Lily, accident", he said as he ran out. The others followed him.

Their mother was crying as her husband was comforting there. Romeo was pacing front and back, his soul was not at peace. Sandro was sitting there with his head low,but his eyes had tears that threatened to fall. Zara was sitting there worried.

Lily was in the operation theater for 3 hours. They had no updates about her.

After an hour, the door opened and the doctor came out. "How is she?", Romeo asked.

"She is out of danger. She will live, but..",he trailed off scared.

Sandro grabbed his collar. "Say it", he spoke through gritted teeth.

"Her legs are broken", the doctor said.

Their mother let out a cry as tears rolled down Sandro's cheeks.

"You mean, both her legs?", Romeo asked in a low voice.

"We can heal her right leg. But her left leg can't be healed. It will remain broken, for the rest of her life", said the doctor.

Sandro collapsed on the chair. Romeo wanted to run away to cry,but he can't. Zara patted his back.

Their parents rushed out crying.

Sandro was a mess. Their sister, who they cherished the most, who they loved the most, was paralyzed. It will never decrease their love for her, maybe it will increase it.

But what about her? How will she bear the pain? How will she cope up? How will she pursue her dream in basketball? How?

Romeo was heart broken. The memories of her pranking him and running away giggling, came to his mind. He was annoyed at sometimes, but now he want nothing more than to see her run, giggling.

We don't know the value of the moment, until it becomes a memory.

She was shifted to a room.

After 4 hours, the nurse called them in. Sandro didn't wait for anyone and entered the room. Romeo told others to wait outside and entered in.

Lily was lying on the bed. She had few minor injuries, but the castings in her legs broke their heart.

She was opening her eyes slowly. She opened her eyes completely and looked around her surroundings. She saw her brothers standing there with tears flowing down their cheeks.

Sandro wasted no time and hugged her upper body gently yet tightly. He said nothing, but kept sobbing. Romeo rubbed his back.

Eventually, Sandro pulled back and stepped aside. Romeo hugged her as he cried silently.

"You scared the shit out of me, baby",he said as he kissed her forehead.

That's when she was fully aware of herself. She was in a hospital. She remembered the car hitting her while crossing the street.

She looked at her body, when her eyes landed on her legs, she let out a small whimper.

"Am I okay?",she asked her brothers, with her teary eyes. Romeo shook his head as fresh tears rolled down. Sandro went to a corner and sobbed quietly.

"I'll be fine right?",she asked.