Chapter 8

As with all good things, it must come to an end. 

College? No, Wonyoung is happily graduating with excellent grades and records. She's finally rid of group projects, research papers and dreaded irrelevant survey taking. No more extra-curricular clubs that don't really add much value if not to build connections. Wonyoung really only had time to join one club – gardening. It wasn't active at all, with only five members. All of them were pretty chill and didn't mind that Wonyoung rarely showed up or helped with the school's botanical garden. Wonyoung wonders if they knew she was a member.

Her internship? Nope! When the employee on maternity was due to return, Wonyoung was ready to get out of there as soon as possible. They'd offered her a permanent position as a Recruitment Specialist. And while Wonyoung did have fun interviewing people, scaring them with her mixed aura of fun and bubbly to cold and intimidating, she thought she would quickly outgrow the job considering the company's slow career advancement. One of the Recruitment Specialists has been there for over ten years!

Her job at the massage parlor? This is the most relieving end to her string of struggles. While she may have to bid farewell to Madame Hyerim, her biggest supporter since she moved to Seoul from the humble countryside of Chuncheon, and the rest of the girls, Wonyoung would want nothing more than to live a "normal life", whatever that means.

Her customers? They can go fuck themselves.

Wonyoung only has  one reservation .

-

"What are you going to do about your regulars?" Liz asks, packing her things little by little. She'll be moving out after graduation too and she'd already found a place near her new job. She even proposed that they share a place. Wonyoung rejected the offer, claiming she'd already found a place of her own (she hadn't yet at that time).

"Nothing?" Wonyoung replies, "Should I send them a letter of resignation as well?"

"You know who I mean," Liz rolls her eyes.

"Junyeong can find other girls," Wonyoung shrugs. Her hand subconsciously reaches for her neck, rubbing the seething pain that still burns when she thinks of him.

"What if he finds you," Liz narrows her brows.

"He won't. I'll change my name and get plastic surgery," Wonyoung says sarcastically as she helps Liz fold her clothes.

"Weirdo. Just don't change your nose," Liz snorts but doesn't press further, "What about your Friday Girl?"

Thankfully, Wonyoung has her back turned when Liz asked that because her usual smiling, expression drops. She isn't sure what she's supposed to do with her Friday Girl. 

Her only reservation . 

She'd been avoiding the matter altogether. How is she supposed to say goodbye?

-

" bà ,  bàba , you didn't have to come all the way here," Wonyoung says as she holds her grandmother's hand as she carefully takes her seat in this quiet little Japanese restaurant in Seoul. They'd just attended Wonyoung's graduation ceremony even though Wonyoung  specifically  asked them not to because her grandmother's knees are weak, "and you brought  nèimā  with you? It's such a long ride. I could've just sent you pictures!"

"It was nèimā's  idea," Wonyoung's father laughs, pouring tea into their cups. Even though Wonyoung insisted that they didn't have to come, she is definitely happy seeing her family after such a long time. She hasn't visited home in years. She thinks of making a trip back before her work officially starts. For just a few days, maybe.