thirty six.

deadly games❝the beast❞

deadly games
the beast

  PEACE WAS SOMETHING THAT EVERYBODY CHASED AFTER WITHOUT ANY PROGRESS. As much chasing there was, there would be no outcome. Only because human beings were selfish creatures. From the very first created man and woman, the concept of selfishness appeared alongside them. Once Eve decided to take a bite from the forbidden fruit, the peace that was supposed to exist, vanished. It vanished like a tree's leaf on autumn, taken on the wind's wings and letting it be its guidance.

  Ever since the second stage was announced, you kept replaying all the games you played so far. It felt agonizing that you had to go through all of it again. Through the sacrifices, blood and fear. This time, maybe even worse. What if after the second stage, there will be a third? What if the borderlands will never end? So many what ifs that did not have an answer to satisfy your curiosity. Everything was a possibility, since you didn't encounter any signs of a return to the world you once knew.

  There was still a bright side to all of it. You met people, who you wouldn't have met in the original world. Trustworthy and brave. The circumstances weren't ideal, but as you were preparing for your first game of the second stage, you remembered Ann and Kuina. Even Aguni, who you never thought you could miss. The interactions between you and him were a few, however they were enough to be treasured by you.

  "Ready?" he asks staring at the big floating face card. King of Hearts.

  Choosing to play the supposed most difficult Hearts game was making you feel unsure. Every Hearts game you've played held a bigger meaning to you than just trying to manipulate the other players and receiving a cleared game. It was a game category that helped you discover yourself, your abilities and the way you understood other people. Keiju was the one that helped you perceive it that way before suggesting the game. The King of Hearts was a band-aid that you just had to rip off by clearing it as soon as possible.

  "Ready." you decided it would be best to ignore the knot formed in your stomach. You didn't want to admit how afraid you began to feel as you were walking further to the area.

There was no such thing as being ready in the borderlands. Everything was unpredictable, which made you feel unsure all the time. No matter what the game difficulty was or the other players, you still couldn't get the gut feeling telling you how things will work out.

The game was going to happen inside an abandoned building. It had no windows and a single floor, which you figured it would make the game troublesome.
  Going inside the building, the sound of entering the game area was heard through the darkness of the concrete walls. That short passing sound that sent you shivers across your spine, making you wonder if it was the last time you were going to hear it. The same rush of entering a new game could be felt and it wasn't a feeling you liked and missed. It was a feeling that kept messing up with your head, the rationality disappearing little by little.