Chapter 34

[NSFW Content Warning]

Since the weather's nice, Brahms and I decide to wait for our ride outside. After realizing how creepy it might look when the taxi driver pulls up to our house with both of us in doll masks, I decide to tuck mine away in my purse for now.

While waiting, we watch the sun set. With the beauty of the night starting to appear, the air feels cooler and the glow of the glimmering moonlight casts shadows around us. We hear the chirps of crickets mix with the sounds of crunching gravel as the taxi approaches us. When it comes to a stop, I am the first to enter. As I await for Brahms to get inside, he doesn't move. Instead, his attention is turned towards the house. He stares at it for quite some time.

" Brahms," I call.

His shoulders raise up slightly at the sound of my voice — snapping him out of whatever thoughts were trailing through his mind.

As Brahms directs his attention to me, I motion for him to get inside.

Before entering, he takes one last glance back. To Brahms, home was a sacred place. It was a sanctuary, a shelter... The place he felt the most safe.

I flash him a gentle smile to reassure him that everything will be okay and moments later, he finally enters the vehicle. As soon as Brahms gets seated — he's already visibly nervous. From the way he looks down at his lap, to the finger-tapping onto his thighs, and the bouncing of his knees. I found the way he was moving his fingers quite strange at first. They were tapping in a rhythmic pattern of some sort, as if he were playing a piano. I suppose that's Brahms' own little way of keeping his mind occupied.

" What are you playing?" I ask, curiously.

" Bach..." He murmurs, still pressing down onto the invisible keys that is his lap, " Ave Maria."

My eyes shoot open in surprise, " Hey, I actually know that one!" I say.

Suddenly, the engine of the outdated vehicle roars loudly as it starts up.

" Where to?" The driver speaks, looking at us through the rear view mirror.

" Royal Chapel," I reply.

" Let me guess..." He pauses, " Costume party?"

I take a glance at Brahms, " I wonder what gave it away?" I respond jokingly.

The man gives a small chuckle and proceeds to drive off.

We make it past the front gates and onto the main road. A few minutes into the trip and Brahms' knee have not stopped bouncing. He hasn't even looked up once yet either. I decide to lay a hand over his thigh, rubbing my thumb over the soft fabric of his pants to try and calm his nerves. When we make it out of the woodsy parts and approach the more scenic areas, I reach over Brahms to roll down the window on his side. A rush of wind flows into the car, bringing the scent of the summer fragranced air to our senses. It blows through Brahms' hair, ruffing up his styled curls as it gets tossed whichever way the wind takes it. This gets Brahms to finally lift his head up. He eyes me, mildly piqued at his now ruined hair.

" I'll fix it later," I say, " I just want you to take a look outside."

Brahms turns his head towards the window, as soon as his eyes meet with the bright lights of the bustling city, he adjusts himself up in his seat. This kind of atmosphere is not what he's used to.