Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Upon waking from a heavy slumber, I was first aware of the coolness in the air—not very reminiscent of Spring. I rub the remainders of sleep from my eyes and stretch my arms above my head. As I arouse from the bed, I feel...different; refreshed almost. Come to think of it, I don't recall waking up once throughout the night. That's a shock considering how messed up my sleep cycle has been.

I make my way towards the window, pulling the scarlet linen drapes back to check on the weather. The sky was a dim, dull gray and the sun—barely visible between clouds that promised rain. Seeing that only lessened my enthusiasm for today even more. Beneath the bed, I haul out the hefty suitcase that I hid upon discovering Brahms had been taking my things, and search for an outfit to wear. It's a chilly day so, I'll have to put on a few layers. As I ransack through my clothes, I find that nothing I own was suitable for hunting. Also, being unaware of the fact that U.K. weather was shit, I hadn't packed any sweaters or hooded jackets. All I've got to cover myself up with was a denim jacket. I put it on over a white spaghetti strap top and paired it with black skinny jeans. For shoes, I had to stick with the only pair of sneakers I brought with me...My white sneakers. It won't matter how careful I am, without a doubt they'll be scuffed and dirtied as soon as I step outside. My other options were either flats, flip-flops, heels, sandals, or thigh-high boots. Sneakers were definitely the best pick.

I quickly brush my teeth and tie my hair up into a high ponytail. Before leaving, I take a quick glance around the room. I head over to the nightstand where my phone lied above it. Even though I couldn't use it, I decided to bring it along with me. I tuck it into the back pocket of my jeans and, as I make my way down the stairs, I see Brahms waiting for me by the front door. He had on a dark green camouflage coat with matching pants, brown boots, and gloves.

I place a hand to my forehead and search around the room, "Brahms, where are you?" I joked, pretending not to see him.

Brahms, who was standing only a few feet in front of me, gives me a tiny wave. As I reach him, I continue to pretend as if he wasn't there. I poke my head around him, eyes searching in every other direction.

Brahms tilts his head, " Y/n," he mutters, grabbing my hands suddenly, "I'm right here."

His hands, warm and soft, were cupped around mine. Beginning to feel a heat growing in my cheeks, I quickly tug my hands from his grasp. The feeling then slightly diminishes.

" I-I know you are Brahms," I told him, " It's called a joke."

He nods, " I know, I was playing along too."

After a few seconds of awkward silence, I notice Brahms' eyes gazing up and down at my attire.

" You didn't expect me to be prepared for this right?" I ask.

Brahms shakes his head and turns his body to the side. I do the same, finding a brown trench coat and...boots—on the seat of a chair. A sigh of relief escapes my mouth as I take off my sneakers to try them on. They were a bit snug but, it'll do. I unfold the coat and upon inserting an arm through the sleeve, I struggle to fit it inside.

"Did you forget to remove that?" Brahms asks as he points to the denim jacket I still wore.

I shake my head, "I can make it fit," I said as I continue to shove my arm in further. Eventually, I manage to get it in but, the sleeve was uncomfortably tight. " See, I got it..." I showed him, lifting my suffocated limb up stiffly, "A-and now for the other one."

Before I could try and get the other arm in, Brahms comes over and takes the coat off me. My arm ended up getting stuck on the way so, he had to tug at it a few times.