Chapter 6

Amy deboarded the train when it arrived at her stop, Mystic Ruins. She had to travel to, through, and out of Station Square, spending the entire day doing so. The moment she stepped off, a heavy amount of dust and sand flew in her eyes, and she started coughing rapidly.

It was unusually blowing heavy wind today. Eggman never warned her about the weather. It was too dark, and most likely there'd be a sandstorm if the wind like this continued.

Amy used one arm to cover her face and the other to take another look at her map. The red dot was nowhere near her location. "It looks like I'm not going to be able to catch him tonight." She sighed, deciding that it was best for her to find shelter for the night.

"The Doctor did this on purpose!" She whined. "He knew that this was going to happen! I should've kept my mouth shut. If I did, I would've been at the lair, in my warm bed, and slurping on some ice cream!" She narrowed her eyes at the map.

There were no hotels or rest places in sight. Everything was back in Station Square. "Gah! You and your stupid big mouth Amy! That's what you get for having a temper!" There was nowhere else she could stay. She couldn't travel all the way to Tails's workshop and demand that he let her rest there. It would be creepy because he didn't know who she was, and she'd be working with the enemy.

But there was a temple on the map. And it was less than a mile away. "I'll just walk there and stay hidden in one of the rooms. I hope the temple doesn't have traps or anything crazy like that."

Amy jogged off in the direction of the temple.

~

Amy placed a plate full of chili dogs on a picnic table just outside of Tails's workshop. She had to go back to Station Square and asked around about the blue hedgehog to find out what his favorite food is. It took her half a day to get everything prepared, but it would be worth it.

While looking through some of Eggman's files that she managed to transfer to her techno-wristband, she reviewed some of the footage of Sonic maneuvering around and fighting back with the doctor. Although Sonic was quick, she was one step ahead and took note that Sonic couldn't swim. Water was his weakness.

Lucky for her, Tails's workshop was located right next to the ocean. Amy clapped her hands together and smiled devilishly. "This will be perfect! Sonic will grab the chili dog from the place, and this rope is going to latch onto his leg! Then it'll snatch him and fling him into the ocean!" Amy snickered.

"And then just before he drowns, I'll pull him out when he's unconscious! He'll be too weak to run! If only the doctor could see me now! He'll promote me for sure!" Amy hopped in the air and quickly went to hide behind a nearby palm tree. Pressing a few buttons on her wristband, Sonic's coordinates on the map blinked multiple times. Amy watched as the red dot got closer, and closer... until, WHISH!

"Got him!" Amy peeked around the palm tree happily, only to freeze a second later. The blue hedgehog had snatched the entire plate of chili dogs off the picnic table. "What?! Impossible!" She mumbled.

"Huh." Sonic picked up a chili dog off the plate and took a bite. "Tails must've left this out, it's unlike him though. He probably forgot. Better put it in the fridge before it goes to waste. Yo, Tails!" Sonic sped inside the workshop and came back out empty-handed. "He must've gone out. Where'd he go?" Sonic rushed off.

Amy's quills flew all over the place from the wind and she whined. "Oh! I just brushed my hair! I can't believe it! Now I got sand and dust all over me! Why didn't the trap work?" She walked over to the rope and bent over to pick it up.

She quickly regretted it. The rope latched onto her arm and flung her into the water.

The next day, Amy tried again at setting another trap for Sonic. She was in the jungle located northwest of Station Square. She went back and grabbed a shovel and began digging deep holes all around. She was dirty and smelled like the wildlife, but she knew that her hard work would soon pay off.

"He'll fall in one of these holes while running. And when he does, I'll knock him out with my hammer! He'll be trapped and won't be able to get away! I'll take him back home to Doctor Eggman, and he'll praise my work, and promote me!"

Whilst in the middle of her speech, Sonic whizzed by and dodged all the holes. Amy grunted and threw the shovel down, and lost her balance. She fell into one of the holes she dug, and she let out the loudest wail that Sonic could even hear while speeding away from her.

Time and time again, Amy failed at catching Sonic. The excitement and action quickly diminished into a rage and murderous intent. Amy's patience was growing thin as the week went by. Her rings were quickly running low. She only had enough to take the train and get back to Station Square to go back to the lair.

As a last resort, she called Eggman for help on her wristband. Amy didn't want to, but at this point, she was ready to suck up as her pride was already hurt from failed attempts.

"Why HELLO Rose!" Eggman's cheery yet sarcastic voice made Amy's mood sour. "How's your little adventure going?" There was a little background noise, but Amy listened hard.

"Doctor I— are you... are you in the city?" Amy huffed when she heard the sound of a car horn.

"Mhmm..." Eggman chirped. "Since you're doing my work, I decided to take a break and cut loose for a while. Let the brain get some energy for what's next." Eggman hummed. "Station Square has this lovely restaurant that just opened up. They serve all-you-can-eat gourmet cakes of all kinds. Served in small portions, but it's worth it."

"I..." Amy couldn't believe him. Here she was running around in the hot and dry desert, overcast jungle, and smelly ocean. She felt more exhausted than a person running on 1 hour of sleep working a 12-hour shift on no caffeine. But Eggman was taking a relaxing vacation and stuffing his stomach with sweets.

"So... what's the update? Have you caught Sonic yet?"