Chapter 12

While holding onto Metal Sonic's leg as he flew back to the doctor's hidden lair, Amy watched as Angel Island plummeted down to the water. She wondered why. "Hey Metal, did you see the island some time ago? It went out of orbit and into the water. Do you know why?"

"Emerald..." Metal Sonic replied.

Was it because they took the master emerald? She thought to herself. She was worried about all the adorable Chao and animals. Their environment would be alternated tremendously.

Metal Sonic hovered over an opening and lowered the two inside Eggman's lab. Amy carefully moved, as her leg was still injured.

"Oh, you're back already? That was fast." Eggman walked in with a cookie in one hand and a bag of potato chips in another. "You've exceeded my expectations Metal."

"I helped too, Doctor." Amy brushed her shirt and arms, flicking off the dirt.

"Yes, Rose. You've done well."

Those words coming out of his mouth made Amy's eyes twinkle with satisfaction. Finally, she had done something right. The doctor validating her success brought her joy. "Does this mean... I can be given a higher position under your apprenticeship?"

"No." Eggman laughed. "Just because you brought me the master emerald here, doesn't mean you've earned your way up. There's still so much for you to learn. Metal was the one who was supposed to retrieve the emerald. You were a mere distraction."

"Oh." Amy frowned.

"But you served well. I'm surprised you didn't encounter the blue menace and his annoying friends."

"Actually, I—"

"Oh well, it doesn't matter. Bring the Emerald here, Metal." Dr. Eggman pulled a remote from his pockets and pressed a button. The floors separated and on a platform, A large jewel holder rose.

Metal Sonic placed the master emerald on it.

"Great! Now Metal, put your hand here!" Eggman demanded. The robot looked at the emerald and placed its hand on it. Electric bolts began to form all over its body as the chaos energy was being absorbed.

The emerald disappeared, and Amy gasped. Eggman let out a boisterous laugh. "YES! HA HA HA HA! OHO HO HO! I've DONE IT NOW!"

"What just happened?" Amy tugged at Eggman's coat.

"Oh, dear Amy, you don't know a thing. I've finally developed the right technology, Metal can now absorb chaos energy and use them to its advantage!"

"Chaos energy, coming from the emerald?"

"Of course! What other power source would there be?" Eggman grinned. "Sonic won't stop us now! Not with this kind of power! The day has come for me— I mean, us! To take over the world and establish my empire!"

"Yay!" Amy clapped excitedly. "I'm so excited for you, Doctor!"

"You'd better be!" Eggman tapped her shoulder. "There are many preparations we have to make. We're going to transport Metal over to Station Square first. Send those dotes the message. Chaos may have been one failure but they will see what I am truly capable of!"

"But Doctor, Station Square will take days! How are we going to—"

"That's why I'm going to be traveling to my other hidden lair nearby, and I'll send you a motorized ground Eggcarrier and coordinates to meet me there. You'll stay here and watch Metal. Make sure the emerald doesn't malfunction its pre-installed commands."

"What? Y-you, want me to stay here and watch him? How am I supposed to make sure he doesn't go haywire?"

"It's not like you haven't managed my other bots before. Make sure he stays charged and hidden, and don't let Sonic interfere. Understand?"

"Y-yes Doctor."

"Good." Eggman tossed her the remote. "I'll see you in a few days."

~

"Are you getting any readings, Tails?" Knuckles hunched over the seat and looked over the fox's shoulder.

"No, Knuckles. The chaos emerald is leading us to nowhere. We're going on vacation, to the beach." Tails spat sarcastically. "OF COURSE I'm getting readings. That's the third time you asked!"

"You didn't say anything!" Knuckles retorted.

"Because I assumed that after hearing the slow beeping from my radar, you'd get your answer!" Tails hissed. Knuckles slumped back in his seat and crossed his arms, and looked off in the distance.

Tails on the other hand noticed how unusually quiet Sonic was. Was he alright? He asked himself. "Sonic?"

"Hmm?" Sonic stopped staring into space and shifted his gaze to his best Buddy.

"You okay?" Tails frowned.

"I'm fine. I'm just thinking."

"About what?"

"I don't understand, why is that girl working for Dr. Eggman?"

"Amy?" Tails asked, and Sonic nodded. "I just assumed it was blackmail. Eggman does that you know. She seemed bent on getting that emerald and keeping us distracted."

"And that's the problem. She's a little too determined and willing to work under Eggbreath." Sonic clenched his jaw. "It's as if she was happy to steal."

"I guess. We can only find out once we speak to her." Tails sighed. "Personally, I thought she was confused. When I approached her, she wanted me to stay away and thought that I would hurt her. And she looked scared."

"Yeah? Well, all I saw was anger and fire in her eyes." Knuckles mumbled under his breath, causing the others to roll their eyes in response. "I can't wait till I get in front of her, I'm going to—"

"Do what, exactly, Knuckles?" Tails snorted. "You're going to hit a girl?"

"I d-didn't say that. And what's wrong if I do? She hit me first! Do you know how much her hammer weighs? Felt like I was crushed by a Boulder!"

"Even so," Tails stated. "We can resolve this issue calmly without having to fight. She doesn't seem like a mean person."

"So we're relying on 'she doesn't seem' now?" Knuckles scoffed.

Tails didn't reply. The plane had jerked up and down and he held the lever steady.

"What was that!?" Sonic blinked.

"The chaos emerald." Tails replied. "It just reacted! I think we're close!"

"Wow, the weather out here is crazy." Sonic squinted his eyes. There was too much fog to even see what was ahead. "I can't even see a thing!"

"You're right." Tails groaned. "I'm going to have to land. We may have to take shelter for tonight!"