Chapter 20

"Shadow?" Amy stepped forward into one of the many rooms inside the station. Shadow was by the wide window, staring outside of it in silence. He was in deep thought, and he didn't notice that Amy stood by him. "It's beautiful isn't it?" She smiled and stared at the planet. "Seeing the planet from this far really gives you a different perspective."

"Why are you bothering me?" Shadow grumbled and side-eyed her.

"...We really could use your help." Amy sighed. "Sonic and the others, Eggman, everyone needs your help."

"Hmph. There's nothing I can do. Everything is all going according to plan."

"You're not helping, because you don't want to." Amy frowned.

"And why should I help the people of that planet? Why should I help people like you?" Shadow narrowed his eyes at her. "Your people, they took everything away from me. My creator, my friend. They were all taken out of my life. I am getting what I've always wanted. Revenge."

"But... is that really what you want, Shadow?" Amy bit her lip. "I'm sorry that GUN took Maria and Gerald away from you. But you know what? The fact is, I can't do anything to bring them back. Those events happened way before I even got here." She mumbled. "The people on that planet are full of good people, but there are also bad people too. However, it wouldn't be right to destroy a person's home just because they made a mistake. Everyone can do better if they tried hard enough."

"You wouldn't understand." Shadow shook his head. "I don't have anyone I care about down there."

"I understand more than anyone how you feel. I may have not had someone taken from me the same way you do, but I know exactly how it feels to be alone. It's not a pleasant feeling. You feel left out, and you feel like you have to prove yourself constantly just to get that sense that someone appreciates you."

Shadow's mouth opened and closed. He continued to stare out the window.

"I've spent so much of my life, trying to prove my loyalty to someone who didn't care about me. I ended up doing bad things, risking my life to hurt others. I did things without thinking them through properly. And I can see our similarities. You had everyone taken from you simply because you're the ultimate life form. And you're trying to prove yourself true to Gerald's legacy, but what if you had a greater purpose than that? What if you could do, no, be much more than just the key to a selfish scheme?"

"Me? Be greater?" Shadow scoffed.

"Yes! You're not much different from the rest of us. We all make mistakes. We're all imperfect. Some of us may be more demented than others, but there's always something to make us happy." Amy looked down. "There's good in all of us, deep down. So why should everyone on the planet suffer for something that had nothing to do with them?" She reached over and grabbed Shadow by the shoulder, and his eyes widened.

"You have every right to be upset about what happened to Maria. But you shouldn't let that make you a bitter person. Everyone learns from their mistakes in the past, and so can you." Amy sighed again. "Someone told me that a hero is a person who protects those in need. That's what you could be. Give the people a chance and protect them."

Shadow came to a realization. Maria's promise echoed in his mind and he pulled away from Amy.

"S-Shadow?"

"I've got to go." He huffed.

"Go? Where?" Amy blinked.

"There is a promise I have to keep. A promise I made with Maria... and you." He pressed his lips thin and sped off in the opposite direction, leaving Amy there amazed and confused.