Chapter 21

A soft tune broke into the light lilting air as Temari stretched her body upwards and extended an arm to grab a pack of tea from the top shelf. The mellow beams of sunlight accentuated the glow on her cheeks as the balls of her feet danced over the wooden floor with customary elegance and felicity; the tip-taps of her toes in sync with the tune she was crooning.

The scent of tea leaves brew wafted through the air as she went towards some sugar, when, suddenly, a pair of arms grabbed hold of her and stopped her from dancing. Naruto pressed his lips to Temari's ear and kissed it tenderly, enveloping Temari in that tender hug of his from behind that always made her feel mushy, "Someone's in a good mood today." he whispered.

Temari smiled as she laid her cheek against his shoulder and started swaying in his arms, "Mm-hmm." she hummed. Both savored in the serenity of the moment when Naruto started matching her movements and swayed left and right to her hums.

"What's got you in such a good mood, hime?" Naruto asked after a few minutes of dancing.

Temari didn't answer him. Too engrossed was she in her own little world. The sunlight struck the pendant on Temari's chest and bounced off the gem in the middle. Its gleam caught Naruto's eye. He slid his finger along the black thread tied around her neck and traced its length lightly, his smile widening when Temari's breath hitched as little as he went lower and lower, until his finger reached the ruby pendant. Carved into a familiar little spiral it was. As it rested in his palm, Naruto took his time to appreciate the craftsmanship, "That's one exquisite necklace … " he murmured thoughtfully, smiling. He let go off the pendant and squeezed her waist tenderly. "… you've been busy spending my hard earned money, I see." he said, chuckling a little towards the end.

Temari said nothing, instead, she wrapped her arms around his neck and turned around in his arms. "You like it?" she asked.

"Yes, it's beautiful," Naruto whispered.

Temari opened her eyes a little to see him staring not at the necklace, but at her. She squeezed her eyes shut in embarrassment, and the tips of her ears turned hot. Naruto chuckled when she nuzzled her nose in his neck to hide her face. "Idiot," she muttered, smacking his chest lightly. "Are you free tonight?"

Her question caught Naruto by surprise. He thought about it for a second. "Hm, I suppose," he replied, rubbing her arm gently. "Did you have something in mind for tonight?" he asked.

"I do." Temari nodded.

"What is it?"

"It's a surprise that will blow your socks off, mister," Temari said, grinning like the Cheshire cat.

He playfully pinched her nose. "Keeping surprises from me, are you?" Naruto asked.

Temari drew circles on his chest with her finger and chewed on her lip, "It's important," she whispered.

Naruto raised her chin up with his thumb, with worry in his eyes, "Hey," he said in a cooing voice, "what's got you looking so worried? Tell me."

Temari shook her head. "Not now-tonight," she said resolutely.

Naruto turned off the stove and pulled her head back against his shoulder. "All right then," he said.

"Promise me that you'll be home tonight," Temari whispered.

"Won't miss it for the world," he promised.

There was a knock to the door that drew the couple's attention. "I'll go get it," Naruto said, not bothering to hide the subtle annoyance lacing his words. Opening the door, Naruto was greeted with the familiar, sparsely-painted face of his brother-in-law. "Kankuro?"