9

I S A B E L L A

I trudged through the crowded and loud school halls to get to my locker, this school year is ending soon, which means exams are starting and I'll be going into college. So my stress levels have been high recently. The long hours at the cafe aren't helping but i like my job and the pay is enough to keep me going.

Lucy skips to me as i shove my jacket into the locker.

"Hiya!" She greeted, her smile wider than usual.

"Hey, what's got you so happy." I reply, and her smile lifts up my mood as i close the locker door shut before adjusting my bag on my shoulders and turning to face her.

"Oh nothing.." She trails off " Just that Bruce asked me on a date!" She squealed, grabbing my hands and jumping up and down, causing a few people to look at us.

"Oh my goodness! That's great!" I say linking my arm with hers as we started to walk down the hall.

"Yes, but i have no idea what to freaking wear!" She moans, melting into my side.

"I can help." i smile and look down at her and nudging her shoulder with mine.

"That would be great, because i'm stressing out." I can just barely make-out what she's saying because she's rambling so fast.

"I need to meet this Bruce, i need to know if he's right for my best friend" I tell her before chuckling and wrapping my arm around her shoulder. She stops walking and turns to me, a few people tell us to move and i frown.

"Bestfriend?" She almost smiles.

"Um" I gulp "I mean, you're my best friend, b-but of course i don't have to be yours" I reply, and fiddle with my fingers whilst looking down, she takes my hand in hers before replying.

"Are you kidding you're my absolute best friend in the world!" She says, exaggerating her sentence and linking arms with me again. We turn a sharp corner and i smile so hard my cheeks hurt.

Since me and Lucy became quite close, i've been hanging out with her a lot during school. And now having someone to hang out with has made school a little more barble. Lucy understands me, she doesn't bring me down, she doesn't ditch me, she doesn't hurt my feelings. She cares, she hypes me up and even though we haven't been close for long i know if i needed her she'd be there. I even forgot about Abby.

I haven't been checking my notifications every minute, i haven't been so worried to see her, and for the first time ever... i think I'll be okay without her. If anything i hope she doesn't want to be friends, i hope she doesn't text or call, i hope this is the end of us.

I smile to myself at the thought of life getting better.

Lucy kisses me on both cheeks after leading me to personal and social education class, i walk in and greet Mrs Donald before sitting down in my corner at the back of the class.

Abby sat with the boys and a few other girls, she ruffled one of the boys hair before giggling loudly. She chewed her gum so loud, i could hear it from here. I fall back into my chair and look out the window distracting myself from the noise.

Mrs Donald calls my name out in the register and i mutter a small here, Abby turns her head in my direction and eyes me up and down before loudly scoffing causing the others to turn their heads and whisper to each other before laughing.

My throat hurt as i tried holding in the tears threatening to escape. My chest raised and fell and raised and fell and i didn't realise i was gripping onto the sides of the chair until my palm hurt from squeezing so hard.