20

I S A B E L L A

I sat in the passengers seat of Axel's car, in a comfortable silence all by myself as i waited for him to come out.

I watched drunk teenagers stumble out and in the house as the loud music could be heard clearly even inside of a car.

I hadn't noticed i was gripping onto the door handle until i felt my hand turn numb. It was a uncontrollable habit that i do when i'm upset or nervous that i have attempted to try and stop but only backfired and just got worse.

It was clear as day Axel was not in a happy mood, so i was prepared for any extra grumpiness.

On the positive side, Ronan finally got my number in his phone so as i was waiting in the car i messaged him a few recipes that Lucy taught me to help get over a hung over.

I switched my phone off and flattened my dress as each minute that passed i grew even more inpatient.

I began to grow so bored waiting for him that i even considered going back in to look for him, but when my hand reached for the door handle my actions were cut off when the drivers side door flung open.

Axel climbed in, dropping himself into the seat heavily as he closed the door behind him. I stared at him as he licked his dry lips and shoved the key in to start the car.

His gaze was on the wheel but slowly shifted to mine until our eyes collided. Whilst mine were rather large and awake, Axel's were tired and looked droopy.

I smiled at him, trying to lift up the mood and i watched his eyes flicker to my lips as i swallowed a lump in my throat.

Axel kept his gaze on my lips for a moment before he trailed his eyes back up to look into mine.

I tried to study his eyes, but his pretty blue ones were hard to see in the dark. His stare was intense, so intense that i began to grow nervous. So i broke the eye contact and turned my head to look straight ahead into the empty road. 

His fingers grabbed my chin and forced me to look back at him again. I couldn't tell what he was thinking, because he naturally looked as if he was planning everyone's murder.

I watched his lips open and close again as he hesitated to speak, his adam's apple bopping up and down before he let go of my chin and turned the key to switch the car on avoiding me.

The engine roared and he pressed down on the gas, not even bothering to wear his seatbelt.

"Axel." I softly whispered, fiddling with my fingers. The silence in the car was too loud.

As he drove smoothly down the street he hummed for me to continue. I tucked my hair behind my ears before speaking.

"Are you angry at me?" I asked, a sudden pit of anxiety rising in my stomach.

I watched Axel carefully, but he remained looking ahead into the clear dark road.

I always had a fear of people being angry at me. The thought that i've upset someone in anyway weighs me down like a huge rock on my shoulders. It makes me feel horrible and i find myself doing everything to fix it.

Axel's palm rolled on the wheel as he took a turn. He took a second to reply, and it only made me convince myself he is angry even more.