Chapter 7

Arthur downed a glass of brandy after his valet had left his room. He had done a fine job getting him ready for tonight's ball. Shaved clean and draped in exorbitant cologne, Arthur wanted to appear at his best for his meeting with lord Cecil, who was rumored to be a bull-headed man. Appearing regal always gave a man an edge, especially when negotiating business.

When he made his way downstairs, he found his mother surrounded by her young guests dressed in their fineries, eager to depart for the ball. He contemplated delaying his descent, to avoid the trouble of making polite conversation with every young chit present in the room.

"Arthur! Oh, my dear, you look so handsome. Won't you say so Miss Janssen?" But he would have no luck escaping his mother's eyes that easily. "Yes he does, my lady," said youngest Miss Janssen, meekly, and he passed her a nod of acknowledgment.

"We were just about to leave for the ball. Why don't you join us? Mrs. Janssen and her wards are to travel in my carriage, but I am sure there is room for one more".

"Thank you mother, but I will have the servants fetch a new carriage. I do not mean to impose on you."

"Ah! But my lord, then you must join us. My poor niece is unlikely to join us tonight, thus we have room for one more. I heartily insist." Chimed in Mrs Briggsby.

"Thank you for your kind offer Mrs. Briggsby. But I have my own carriage"

"That will take some time to be prepared for sure, while our carriages are already waiting at the front entrance. Are you sure you do not wish to travel with us? for you might be bit delayed, if you wait for your own carriage to be readied." His mother had a point, he did not wish to be delayed a moment, as it might cost him an opportunity to have a word with lord Cecil.

"Your are right mother, I'll accept Mrs. Briggsby's offer, if she still has a room for one"
Mrs Briggsby's carriage was a practical choice, since it would have a few less occupants, whose attentions would be fixed on him and who he might be required to carry out a conversation, out of politeness.

Soon his judgement was proven wrong, he found that all the Briggsbys combined together were equivalent to an army, and could chatter away for hours. The matron's voice was a so shrill that it could be used to a break glass, if not human eardrums.

They all talked in such loud and lively manner that he was on the verge of developing a migraine. He only wished that the brandy he had consumed earlier would soon kick in soon with its effects. He even attempted killing the conversation by responding tersely to each question, they however were very persistent in obtaining a thorough reply. He found their persistence a little vulgar. As if they needed anything else to add to their ridicule, the middle daughter, who was seated next to him, kept dropping her hands on his lap, almost closer to his groin, every time the carriage hit a bump on the road. He could not ascertain if this action was deliberately done on her part, as she kept passing him a sly smile each time.

Looking out the window into the unending darkness to find distraction, his mind wandered to Miss Hughes. Why had she decided not to attend the ball? He certainly could not blame her, if it was done in an effort to avoid her boisterous family. But could it have been due to his presence? She must have known that he was likely to attend and thus, perhaps decided against it. Thinking about this put a strange smile on his face. To have a rebellious vixen like herself, who didn't seem to be intimidated by anything, save maybe her aunt, get unnerved by him. It was an absurdly satisfying thought indeed.

Eloise, who he realised was also absent from the departing party, had mentioned how Mrs. Briggsby had commanded her friend to avoid his presence. It may very well have been this command that kept Miss Hughes back at Wimbledon manor. And as for Eloise, he simply conjectured, had decided join her friend for a quiet evening with all the guests gone. She was never the one for soirées or lavish parties anyways. Nevertheless, he was jealous of their ability to seek respite. it was something he merely found time for, with different guests afoot the house at all times.