Chapter 21

It was a clear starry night, with the moon hung in the sky at its crescendo. Lady Bothwell's ball was a heavily attended affair.

Lady Bradford, her daughter and Katherine descended the carriage and made their way to the entrance. The Marchioness had insisted that the trio travel together, leaving rest of her guests to assort themselves into the remaining carriages.

Arthur had decided not arrive with them. He had promised he would remain by Katherine's side as much as possible to support her, but he refused to appear like a besotted lover tied to his fiancée's skirts. He didn't mind the facade in-front of his guests, but doing so in-front of the ton was an entirely different thing.

In an hour from their arrival dancing had commenced. As expected, Katherine was asked by multiple gentlemen to dance, rarely seen standing on the side of the ballroom. Everyone was eager to make acquaintance with the lady that had been welcomed into the Bradford family's fold.

Her popularity wasn't the only one of note, there was another couple in the room, whose recent engagement had caused much comment. According to the London Chronicle and general gossip, Henry Cecil was re-engaged to his former fiancée. Arthur speculated how this had come to pass, as he waited for his turn to dance with Katherine.

She was currently performing a set with Mr. Payne, and by the looks of it, they made an excellent pair. She seemed at ease in his company, which made Arthur half happy, half jealous. Soon enough, she would be his to have, at least for a set.

Once the set was over, Payne escorted her off the floor "You were splendid, Miss Hughes." He complimented her "I was so engrossed, I barely even realised the dance was over" Katherine smiled "I cannot take all the credit, Mr. Chivers put in a good amount of effort to make sure I performed my dances well today."

"Ah! yes, but one cannot teach a fish to fly, no matter the amount of effort, thus I must say you are extremely good on your feet" He praised her further. "You make me blush, Sir" She replied. "All that talking and dancing must have left you very parched, my dear"Arthur chimed in, "Payne, why don't you exhibit some chivalry, and fetch the lady some lemonade?" he wished to put an end to their flirtation. Payne had once openly admitted that he would have courted Miss Hughes had she not been attached to someone else already. Arthur couldn't let him go on charming her with all his flirtatious compliments and charisma. This was for her own good, he told himself.

"Why do you do that?" Katherine asked once they were left alone.

"Do what, my lady?" He asked.

"Get rid of Mr. Payne, every opportunity you get. do you dislike his company? I thought he was a close friend" She said.

"I like his company alright, but I do think he is overly flirtatious with you. Surely, no woman would want that, so I was just looking out for you. As any gentleman would" He replied.

"Mr. Kenmore is equally flirtatious, I would say, but I never see you getting rid of him. In general, I think both men are harmless, it is just their good humor which you have mistaken for flirtatious behavior" She said.

"I think Kenmore is flirtatious with everyone, but Payne only flirts excessively with you in particular. And I cannot allow that" He replied.

"Do not worry about me, I have learned to practice caution with gentlemen, I don't get swayed easily by flattering remarks anymore." She said with a hint of bitterness in her voice.

Arthur realized she was looking in Henry Cecil's direction when she made her statement and wondered how deep their attachment had been before their sham engagement came to be about.

"Is that the lady everyone has been talking about this evening?" Katherine asked looking at Cecil's fiancée "She is beautiful"

"Besides you, my dear?" He laughed, trying to lighten her mood. "Yes, she is Captain Cecil's betroth."