Chapter 11

It was a fine sunny day to have a picnic on Copse Hill. Lady Bradford along with the help of lady Cecil had planned a day-long picnic. Why marchioness hadn't declared it a house party yet, was a surprise. She certainly had enough amount of guests living under her roof to declare one. But then again, hosting a house party while one's husband lay sick in bed, would have been considered in poor taste. And if she really was hosting a house party, she might have been inclined to invite other guests that wouldn't be limited to marriageable young ladies, which would defeat the purpose of what she was secretly trying to accomplish.

When everyone arrived at Copse Hill, the party was split into two. Matrons had assumed the responsibility of setting up the picnic site, where they instructed the servants to set up trays laden with food and refreshments for everyone, while all the youngsters were given the liberty to walk around the surrounding scenery under the supervision of Mr. Briggsby and the old earl Cecil. Due to their old age, their progress was slow. They were close enough to chaperone appropriately, however, there was enough distance for the young ones to converse without being heard.

Leading the line were Mr. Kenmore and his friend Mr. Payne. As usual most of the ladies had gathered around them, like bees surrounding a nectared flower. The charm of these two put together, was enough to swoon half the ladies in England.

Keeping their distance from this group, walked lord Bradford, and Miss Cecil. Not too far behind, followed Katherine and Captain Cecil. To give these budding couples some privacy, Captain's brother, the viscount, offered Eloise his arm and they walked at the very end.

"It is such a fine day, is it not?" Remarked Katherine

"I would say so. There is such fine scenery to be enjoyed around here. Although, I doubt there are any prettier sights to behold than what is in front of me just now." He said looking at her profile.

"You are too kind, sir. I am not sure if I deserve such high praise." She said with a slight blush.

"Nonsense! Off-course you do. And you deserve a great deal more compliments. I would lay them out all at once, but I am afraid you'll turn redder than a blushing rose."

"I have a much sturdier constitution than a rose, I assure you. Your flattery will not turn me so red that easily, although it would be wise of you to ration your compliments." She teased

"Point taken. I do hope however you'll allow me to give you a small present "

"A present? What kind of present?" She asked

"You'll see when we return to the picnic site. I wouldn't be presenting it to you, but you'll know it is from me."

Curious to know what present awaited her at a picnic site, Katherine was now eager to return. Unfortunately for her, everyone else was in no such hurry.  The young party enjoyed being out of sight of matrons, who performed their chaperoning duties more diligently than the two gentlemen watching over them now. Their nature was far more lax. Thus, it took them almost half an hour before they were back

When everyone had settled down on the picnic blanket and wine was poured, naturally a discussion began about the beauty of Copse Hill. The matrons, who had not had the chance to stroll around, wanted to ascertain if the landscape was worth constraining their poor nerves. Suddenly, amidst this animated discussion exclaimed the old earl "Ah! Miss Hughes, before I forget, I have bought a present for you."

Everyone was bemused by his sudden declaration and looked at him with a questioning glance. "You see, I have been informed, that ever since your last visit at Bingley hall, someone in our household has missed you dearly," said he, as he gestured to a nearby footman to bring out the present. Confused like everyone else, she looked at Captain Cecil, searching for an answer, but he simply gave her a wide grin.