Chapter 19

"We must make haste. You do not understand the gravity of this delicate situation, men seldom do" complained Arthur's mother sipping her tea in the family's private breakfast room. She had taken a break from her ever-the-devoted hostesses routine, where she had breakfast with her guests every morning. Instead she had invited Arthur to have breakfast with her. Such effort could be seen as endearing, but lately his mother had been known to have ulterior motives, and the present invitation was no exception.

"It is too early for us to announce our engagement. The season has barely even begun. And, wouldn't it be more appropriate if we announced it at a party hosted by you, mother?" said Arthur.

"Nonsense! before you know it, half the season would have already passed. Besides, with your father's condition we are unlikely to host a party anytime soon, and even if we did, to proclaim your joyous news, until he has fully recovered, it will be perceived in poor taste" She objected.

"What about Miss Hughes and her family? you have to consider them." Arthur said.

His mother simply laughed at the notion "Why, it will hardly take any effort convincing them"

"Yes, but you forget that Katherine.... I was mean Miss Hughes has never had a season before, she is not accustomed to glamours balls and parties and such. Let her ease into it, I won't allow you to overwhelm her" He said sternly.

"I am very pleased to see how protective you are of your fiancée, especially because neither of you had a choice in the matter. But she will be the next Marchioness someday, thus it is imperative that she learns the ways of the ton. And there is no better time than present to start her lessons, with all of us by her side."

"Fine. I will agree to this on one condition, you have to ask Katherine. I will happily announce our engagement at lady Bothwell's ball if she approves" it was futile trying to argue with his mother once she had made up her mind, it would be much easier if someone else tried reasoning with her. Now he simply had to convince Katherine to disagree with his mother's idea and talk some sense into her, which shouldn't be too difficult.

But first he had to find her, and relay the message before his mother got a chance. With that determination in mind he excused himself from breakfast and went straight to Katherine's room.

The door to her room was left slightly ajar, he peaked in to see if she was there. He found her merrily humming as she put away her clothes in a chest. Tiger-lilies that he had brought her were decorated carefully in a vase atop the bureau on the side, along with lavender. It was clear that she admired them.

He knocked softly, trying not to alarm her. "Come in" she said, without glancing his way.

"Put the rest of them on the bureau, I'll put them away." She directed him, while still focused on her task.

He was confused "Pardon, me?"

"Oh!" she turned around to find him standing behind her "I thought you were the laundry maid, bringing in rest of my clothes."

"I loathe to disappoint you, but I am here on an entirely different business" He smirked eyeing the chemise she was holding.

flabbergasted, she immediately closed the door and the chest, concealing rest of her intimates immediately.

"How many times, must I tell you, it is quite inappropriate for you to visit me, in my room. what if someone sees you?" She scolded.