Chapter 8

No sooner had the idea of courting Miss Rebecca Cecil had risen in his mind, had Arthur hunted his mother down across the ballroom to acquire her help in soliciting an introduction.

He could have easily approached Miss Cecil's family and introduced himself, as he already knew her father. But his present scheme of involving his mother would seem more natural and less orchestrated.

His mother was elated to receive such a request from him and happily obliged. And soon with the aid of the hostess, Mrs Pankhurst, an introduction was made in the following manner, "Allow me to introduce my good friend, Marchioness of Staffordshire, lady Bradford."  Lord Cecil bowed politely "Pleasure to make your acquaintance, my lady. I am Hamilton Cecil, Earl of Glendale. And this is my wife lady Cecil and our daughter Rebecca." He raised an eyebrow cynically towards Arthur "I believe your son and I are already acquainted"

"Regardless, I am enlightened to meet your family" he passed a flirtatious smile in his daughter's direction "Now if you'll allow me, I'd like to escort your daughter to the dance floor" his request was reluctantly granted with a nod from lord Cecil

They danced two sets together, which to those present in the room, declared a beginning of a formal courtship. He hadn't danced with anyone else but his cousin that night, which indicated how favoured Miss Cecil was in his eyes.

After the night of the ball, social calls between the two families became common, specifically when it was discovered that Cecils resided but three miles from the Wimbledon manor for the summer.

Bradfords had been dutifully invited to dine with Cecils within a week from their initial introduction and their hospitality was equally reciprocated when Cecil family was invited to dine at Wimbledon manor in a fortnight.

Upon arrival of Cecil family, for first time in past few weeks, Arthur was grateful to have all female eyes turn their attention on viscount Edward Cecil, who was next in line to the Earldom of Glendale, after his father. His scheme was finally working. Since now Arthur himself was considered a price half claimed by Miss Cecil, ladies and their matrons had left him alone. They had turned theirs eyes in search of other prospective husbands. Viscount Cecil, who was spitting image of his father, the earl, was one such prospect.

The formal dinner was more like a small party rather, with all the present guests of Wimbledon combined with the Cecils, they added up to about score of people. Arthur thought of his father, who must be turning in his bed uncomfortably after hearing the sound of jolly guests in his manor, while he lay sick and bedridden in his chamber.

For as far as he could remember, when Arthur's father had reigned the house in his command, he only allowed his wife to host parties when deemed absolutely necessary to remain sociable in the ton. Personally, he detested large gatherings or crowds of any sort and avoided parties, even small social calls, if he could.

His mother on the other hand, was the complete opposite. She would pay calls and attend every invitation, even without her husband, very joyfully. Maybe social engagements was her way to cope with the emptiness of her lonely marriage. Especially when all her children had been sent away to school.

Soon a footman announced the dinner and slowly the guests started pouring into the dining room. There were only six gentlemen present in the party, addition of his friends Ryland Kenmore and Marcus Payne had not shifted numbers in favour of their gender. Ladies, including the matrons, easily outranked their number. Each gentleman thus, had chosen to accompany two women into the dinning room. Even then, his mother had chosen to walk herself in, or there wouldn't have been enough gentlemen to accompany each lady.

The dinner was served in the modern la russe fashion, where all the courses where brought out one by one, rather than being displayed on the table in an extravagant manner all at once. Mrs. Payne, who had accompanied her son to Wimbledon manner, without an invitation, commented how this new style of service was more fascinating but less ornate compared to traditional way.