Chapter 18

Warning: Unedited version; pardon the minor grammatical mistakes. I have had this chapter sitting in draft too long because I can't find time to re-edit. Publishing it anyways! Please Enjoy.

When the next morning dawned upon Katherine's window with all its golden rays, only thing she could do is squint her eyes shut, and toss about in bed as she had done all night. No sleep would come to her, no matter how hard she tried. The previous night's encounter with Arthur kept replaying in her mind. His kiss had certainly taken her by surprise. Standing in his warm embrace as his lips smoothly kissed her, she had lost herself. Should she have kissed him back? she might have enjoyed it. She couldn't regret it now for her opportunity had already passed, while she stood there in a daze. What an inexperienced ninny he must think her.

She would have to eventually face him again, she couldn't very well hide under her sheets forever, for the fear of things being awkward between them. Perhaps, she might have some luck today, and won't have to see him all day, since all the ladies had decided to go to town. They were to visit various milliners shops and boutiques, that had flooded with latest London fashion. He was unlikely to join them for such an excursion.

She was proven wrong when the door to their town bound carriage opened, that was currently occupied by her, Miss Beaufort or Miranda as she had insisted Katherine to address her, and Bon-bon, to reveal Arthur. "Hello, ladies" he greeted them with a charming smile "I thought I might join you on your jaunt to town" He said seating himself next to his sister, directly across her. The seat next to her was currently occupied by her spaniel who sprawled gayly, placing his little head on her lap.

"I see your little pet has joined you for the trip, has he?" asked Arthur. "I thought the footman could take him for a walk while we visited various shops. He was quite bored at home" she said caressing his furry head. The spaniel gave a low growl in Arthur's direction, giving his disapproval of his presence, which the ladies found comical.

"I must say I didn't expect you to join us, don't you have some business or other to conduct as usual?" questioned Miss Beaufort. "At present all my business is taken care of, I had some spare time on my hand and thought a trip to town might prove refreshing" He replied.

"Off-course, I assume it has nothing to do with Katherine's presence here, is it?" She goaded.

"Her presence certainly makes it more pleasant" he added plainly placating her remarks.

He had his usual cool reserve about him, and seemed completely unaffected by what had happened yesterday night, while she had brewed a storm about it inside her head and even lost sleep over it. His indifference vexed her. She had expected things to be awkward between them but he acted as if nothing had happened and carried on as before. But why should he be affected by their little kiss? if one could even call it that. He surely must have shared many a passionate kisses with far more experienced women than herself, that their little encounter was simply too insignificant to be acknowledged by him.

If he could act unaffected with such ease, so could she. She too, would carry on as if nothing had passed between them. And just as she was about to settle in her cool demeanor he did something unexpected. He closed the curtains on their side of the carriage.

"Whatever you are closing those curtains for? it is such a beautiful day outside, and I dare say that window offers a pretty view of the passing scenery" chided Miss Beaufort.

"Yes, it is. But, Katherine is prone to migraines. Too much sunshine can cause her severe headaches, and I don't want anything to ruin her day, not even the sight of a beautiful landscape." He placed his hand on her gloved fingers dotingly, it was touching that he remembered such a little detail from their earlier conversations. And yet he acted as if he didn't remember last night at all. She couldn't quite understand what he was playing at. Or perhaps this gesture was just another tactic to aid their ruse. He was simply playing her enamored fiancée again.