Chapter 20

Katherine dabbled with a single pearl hanging off the body of an amethyst necklace as she examined her reflection in the mirror.

Arthur had been right. She had been duly summoned by the Marchioness, just as he had predicted. While examining her reflection in the mirror, she contemplated whether to agree with the marchioness' preposition of announcing their engagement at Bothwell's ball or not. Disagreement with her wasn't an easy task as Arthur had painted it out to be, his mother was very persuasive in her endeavours.

"I do like that one on you" She commented on the necklace "it contrasts and compliments your eyes at the same time." said the Marchioness moving behind her. "Never let anyone tell you that sapphire would go better with your eye colour. If women only wore jewels matching there eye colours it would be monochromatic and quite dull to be honest. Contrast is what brings out our best features."

"Ada, why don't you bring out the dresses, I am thinking to go with the lavender and the ivory one." she instructed her maid to fetch the newly arrived dress from town. Placing the lavender gown in front of the mirror, she asked "What do you think, my dear? I think this suites you very well. You'll look vibrant, yet elegant in this color."

"It is a lovely gown." Katherine replied.

"Why don't you don this gown for me? I'd like to see how it looks on you"

Once Katherine put on the new gown, lady Bradford asked the maid to style her hair into a coiffure.

"There, lets have a look, shall we?" She said directing her to turn around.

"Ah! this looks perfect! this will do for lady Bothwell's ball."

"About that, my lady" Katherine said hesitantly "I am not sure I am ready for such an affair."

"Nonsense! you're ready as you will ever be, my dear." Marchioness replied brushing off her hesitance, but even she couldn't deny a little nervousness in Katherine's  gesture.

"What is it, my dear? is it the dress you dislike or something else? I am sure we can work it out."

"In all honesty, I believe I will be an embarrassment to your family name." Katherine said defeatedly. Her intentions were to deter her lady Bradford, but there was some truth to her protests, she realized painfully. "Both, you and I know, how his lordship and I truely came to be engaged, if it weren't for that unfortunate accident, you and I wouldn't be here today, trying these dresses."

"You know as well as I, that I would have never been his first choice, not even his third of fourth perhaps, when there are so many eligible young ladies, with sturdier family connections and wealth to be had. All of whom are probably endowed with more grace and beauty than I am," She looked down fiddling her fingers "I wouldn't be fair to force him to stand with me so publicly. When the time is right, I think an announcement in the London Times shall suffice"

"My sweet child, I didn't know you thought so little of yourself " Said lady Bradford taking her hands in her own "Yes, its true, that you might have not been Arthur's first choice, but he would have eventually come to realize his attraction for you. I have seen the way he looks at you,and from our conversations, it is clear that he cares for your feelings a great deal."

She lifted her chin with her forefingers "And as for beauty and grace, I say you lack none whatsoever. Your societal etiquette could use some polish, yes. But that is nothing new, every debutante has to go through this at some point and learn her way around the English society."

"Now, let us put all these worries aside and go for a stroll. I am sure some fresh air will change your mind" She instructed the maid to bring out their bonnets. But before they departed lady Bradford adjusted the neckline of Katherine's dress, revealing a fair amount of her bosom in the process.