Chapter 16

If you like this story, please, please consider voting and hitting that little star. Like a five year old I like stars on writing projects. Trying to catch as many as I can :). Enjoy!

It had taken Eloise all but five minutes to drag Arthur to the card table when he entered the drawing room to join the guests.

A game of Piquet to him, seemed better than the alternative, which was to sit next to Mrs. Payne, who was surely in business of fishing out gossip about his new betrothal.

People seemed skeptical about the story he had spun regarding his engagement. Miss Hughes wasn't alone in her belief that he did not possess a single romantic bone in his body, sadly everyone shared her opinion. However, no one was bold enough to say so to his face.

Arthur reminded himself that Rome wasn't built in a day, and it would take time and meticulous effort, to make people truly believe his story. In the meantime, everyone would simply play along out of respect for him and hopefully refrain from spilling unwanted gossip.

He realised that his sham fiancé will allow him to excuse himself from balls and soirées of the upcoming season. His mother could no longer insist upon him to attend such events as there would be no need for him to go wife-hunting. Instead he could focus on laying the ground works for his brewery, while he simultaneously strategised on repealing excise duties levied on alcohol, when parliament was in session. If he was successful in removing excise duties levied on beer production, it could quadruple his targeted profits.

As the game progressed, he became less invested in what was going on at the card table and began watching the door anxiously. His sister and Katherine hadn't returned yet and he wondered what could be taking them so long.

"Is something amiss, Bradford?" Asked Payne, "You keep eying the door."

"He is probably waiting for Miss Hughes to walk through it" remarked Ryland "Can't you tell? he can hardly wait to see her."

Arthur gave him a stern glare to cease his teasing, but as his best friend, Ryland wasn't prone to such tactics.

"I was given the impression that Miss Hughes wasn't fond of you. So how did the two of you came to be engaged?" Questioned Payne "Or was it the magic of your secret courtship skills that won her over?" He laughed, trying not to be too direct.

"I am not at the liberty to discuss how I wooed my fiancé, or I fear she'll be cross with me" Said Arthur trying to ward off his suspicions.

"By wooing, you mean beg her to accept your suit? Because we all know how she gave you a cut direct at lady Pankhurst's ball." Commented Ryland. The pair of them were clearly determined to have fun at his expense.

"I will admit that she wasn't very fond of me at first. But with course of time, she has changed her mind" Arthur replied.

"Everyone should really be congratulating me, for the success of their engagement" Interjected Eloise. "After all, it was my brilliant idea that Arthur should marry Miss Hughes. Although, I must say, I am a bit surprised that he actually heeded my advice."

"Is it true, Arthur?" Asked Ryland  "Did you really take her advice on the matter?"

"She might have put the suggestion in my head at the Pankhurst ball initially, but I acted on it entirely out my own volition." He replied

"Something still doesn't add up here, you see." Said Payne disbelievingly "If you wanted Miss Hughes all this time, why waste your time courting Miss Cecil? for we all know you are not the one to beat around the bush"

"I can ascertain the motive there" chimed in Ryland "He probably wanted to gain close contact with her father. And what better way than courting and calling on his daughter."