Chapter 12

Arthur transversed the corridor to the kitchen with his usual long strides. He was headed to meet the chef, Monsieur Jacques, to go over this week's dinner menu. Why french chefs were so prized amongst the ton, he couldn't understand. Wasn't the point of the recent war, to defeat the French? But somehow they managed to dominate domestic professions in noble English households and were favoured over the English cooks and maids.

Before he crossed the threshold to the kitchen he heard cheery voices coming from the adjacent parlour. He found Eloise, Ryland, and Marcus, who preferred to be called by his surname, Payne, were gathered in the room. They were playing with the spaniel that had been recently gifted to Miss Hughes. They were trying to teach the dog, some tricks, and every time he performed one successfully, he was rewarded with a small piece of buttered biscuit.

This was a private family parlour, used to entertain only the closest family and friends. Most guests that visited the manor would not even know of its existence. It was furnished with sofas, a pianoforte, a card table, and a sideboard containing various decanted spirits. The parlour possessed everything that might be required for entertaining a small party. Due to its close proximity to the kitchen, food was always easily supplemented for such entertainment.

In the corner stood a maid, for reasons of propriety. Eloise was a single young woman, and her presence with two bachelors alone would be considered very improper. However, she would be in no danger of something untoward from either of them. Payne and Ryland had always treated his sisters as their own, and by the extension of this courtesy, Eloise was regarded with the same respectability and protectiveness by them.

"I see that the three of you have found something to frolic with," He said entering the room.

"We were just teaching Bon-Bon some tricks," said Eloise, as the pup rolled around on his back begging her for a treat. Bon-Bon, a creative pet name for Bonaparte. This must be a product of his mistress's clever imagination, he thought.

"He is quite intelligent. So far he has learned how to sit, roll around and lay down" remarked Ryland.

"Here, show him this treat and command him to roll" Said Payne handing him a small piece of biscuit.

Arthur followed his instructions but the pup proved to be defiant, even when he was bribed with the promise of a biscuit.

"Insolent little mutt!" He gruffed, while the pup stared at him with saintly wide eyes.

"Come, come Arthur. He is just a pup" Payne intervened. "Roll Bon-Bon" he commanded and the pup rolled on his back instantly.

"Maybe he doesn't like you, Arthur." Jested Eloise.

"Just like his mistress," Said Ryland, aiding her jest.

" Is that true, Arthur? Does Miss Hughes not like you?" asked Payne " And pray tell, what have you done to earn her disregard?" 

"Nothing! I have done nothing to earn her disregard" he retorted.

"Nothing really," said Eloise cheekily "except that one time he asked her to dance and then forgot to show up for the promised set. Mr. Kenmore had to escort her to the dance floor out of pity "

"I did apologize and asked her for a second set, as a way to make amends," he said in his defense.

"Ah! yes, you did. And she flatly refused you. You should have seen the look on his face when Miss Hughes gave him a cut direct. He was so flushed with shock, he resembled a lobster" laughed Ryland.

"I must say, after hearing such an account of her, she has most certainly piqued my interest. If Captain Cecil hadn't set his cap on her, I might have tried to court her. She has a simple country girl beauty about her, you know" Payne's remark irked him but he knew not why.