7- New Years?-D1

Instead of spending New Years with my parents, Connie is having a New Years party. Everyone on the team is going and even coach Bombay said he would come by. It was also kind of a celebration party for making it all the way to the league championship, which was in a week.

My parents had also talked to me more about the boarding school or whatever. It's official. As of June 1st, I- Avalon Carter- will be attending the prestigious Vista Point Junior High Academy in California. Fun, right?

So tonight I decided I was going to break the news to everyone. I didn't expect it, but I've gotten to be really good friends with everyone on the team. Connie was easily my second best friend and Charlie was my third. I hope they won't be too upset.

We'd been at school and practice all week and I haven't been able to say a word to Adam. Guilt, maybe the reason. I just hope he doesn't hate me.

I knock on Connies front door. Her house was brick and had a white door and white window frames. A few seconds later Connie opened the door out of breath, "Ava! You made it! I was starting to think you weren't gonna show up."

"Connie how could I not show up to one of my best friends' party?" I looked down at my watch. It was 10:30. Shoot. "Traffic here was really bad"

She opens the door more inviting me to come in. I drop the brownies I made into her awaiting arms.

"Don't worry about it. When Adam showed up I figured you'd be with him."

I shut the door behind me, "Yeah, no. Not tonight."

Connie guided me over the where all the food was and dropped my brownies on the table.

I chewed on my lip, thinking about how I am going to break the news to everyone.

"Don't make me stress Ava," Connie whines, "you're making your stress face. You know how I get when I stress."

I smile a little, "I know Con."

She nods her head and grabs my arm, leading me to the game room where everyone is playing games and talking. I hear someone call out, "Ava's here!"

Everyone turns to me and says stuff like 'hi', except Adam. He's sitting on the couch and I join him.

There was an NHL game playing, so we didn't change the channel.

We sit there for a minute until he speaks up, "What's gotten into you, Lonnie? I mean you've barely spoken to me in the past two weeks. What's up with that?"

My heart is racing and I don't really know how to respond, "I-I can't tell you yet. I have to tell everyone."

"But Lon, I'm your best friend. Just tell me." He pleads. I want to tell him so bad but I can't think of what to say.

Thankfully Charlie comes over and tells Adam he needed him. Adam nodded, not breaking eye contact from me, and stood up following Charlie.

I let out a breath and stand up to go chat with Connie. I have a good time until Adam walks up again, "Ava can I talk to you."

I widened my eyes at Connie and mumbled a sure. He lead us over to the food table and started talking, "Okay Avalon. You better tell me what the crap is going on with you, because you've barely talked to me at all this week and I don't know what I did wrong."

My eyebrows came together in confusion, "No Adam, it's not you okay?" I take a breath, "I just-"

I hear the others counting down from 10, "We're gonna miss the ball drop, cmon." I start towards the room.

7,6,5,4,

Adam grabs my wrist, "No Ava. You're going to tell me what's been bothering you."

3,2,1

"Damn it Adam! I'm going to a boarding school in California!"

Happy friggin New Years

———————————————————————————————————-

Y'all I'm literally out of school! I'm so pumped. I do not know where this chapter came from, but here ya go anyways.

With love, M