25-Paps-D2

The next day at school was hell. Everyone was shocked to see my arm in a sling. They all asked what happened and what was going on. I told them the truth- I'd be out for the rest of the games.

Everyone seemed at least a little sad. I mean, I'm the only good defenseman we've got, and Iceland is a team of scorers.

The whole time Ms. Mackay was trying to teach us, everyone was falling asleep. Adam and I had it the worst, though I didn't say that.

Ms. Mackay also was concerned with my shoulder, wondering if Bombay knew about it.

"Nope," I said, "he even made me run extra last night. And then we had to go to the doctors to get it reset."

She furrows her eyebrows, "We?"

I sigh, "Adam took me to the nurse last night and helped me with stuff. We didn't get to bed until 3:30."

"And where's your coach?" She asks, appalled.

I shrug, "I dunno. But he sure doesn't care."

We talk some more and she lets everyone go to their dorms to sleep.

I've been thinking about going home. Like home, home, in Minnesota. I don't want to leave everyone though, but I can't stand Bombay anymore.

Adam joins me in my dorm and we take a long 2 hour nap.

We wake up to someone knocking on the door. Adam's still sound asleep so I gently get off of him and see who it was.

"Finally," Charlie says as I open the door, "we're having practice at 3. Tell Banks."

I slowly nod and he walks off, probably to tell the next person.

I shut the door and turn back to the bed where Adam is slowly waking up.

"Hey there sleeping beauty," I smile and jump on the bed, careful not to hurt my arm.

"Hey evil step sister," he says, and I'm reminded of the time when we were getting ready to play district 5 for the first time as Hawks.

I cuddle up into him, "Charlie said you have practice at 3. That's the same time my mom is getting here to take me to get an MRI."

"Mm so you're not coming to practice with me?" He says and nuzzles his face into my crazy hair.

"No can do partner," I laugh, "get up grump. We have to go get lunch."

I sit up from him and step off the bed. We had changed into sweats and hoodies so that we could nap comfortably. Meaning we have to change back into presentable clothes.

We get dressed and head downstairs to the cafeteria. It's around 1 so people are clearing out from lunch. Luckily there's just enough food left for us.

After lunch, we start walking back to the dorms, holding hands for some reason. There were a lot of people around us too.

That's when a lady with a notepad and a guy with a camera walked up to us shouting questions, "Ava, what happened to your arm? Are you two dating? How did it feel to lose against Iceland? Where's your coach?"

People started yelling and talking a lot- some even taking pictures of their own.

"Hello?" The lady asks.

I'm not famous so stop.

The guy takes a lot of pictures as the lady is asking the questions. I stand there in shock, but Adam drags me into a nearby dorm hall away from the lady and her questions.

My heart is racing and I'm breathing really fast. My hands shake as I slide down the side of the wall and tears trickle down my face.

"I can't breath." I say to Adam. He grabs my hands and makes me count to 5. My breathing starts to slow down but I'm still shaking.

I don't know why that bothered me so much.

"Shh, you're okay." Adam soothes. He always helps me with this stuff. It's weird but I'd rather it be him than anyone else.

"What is wrong with me?" I say quietly. I close my eyes and take a few more breathes.

He sits beside me and rubs my back. I lean into him and we hear footsteps down the hall. I look to see who it is and it's my mom.

I jump up and lunge into my mothers arms, "I missed you so much. I want to go home, please."

My mom is shocked. She's known this has been my dream since I started hockey, and now she's heading me rant about how horrible it is here.

"Those people are really scary. Bombay doesn't even care about us anymore. Please mom, I want to go home." I sob out.

Her face is concerned as she looks to Adam for help. I'm push my face into her neck, away from the world. Away from perverted boys, abusive coaches, jealous friends, and nosy reporters.

But I can't leave Adam behind. Or Charlie, or Connie, or any of the Ducks.

"Well for now, honey, we have to take you to get your arm checked out." My mom says.

She pulls me away from her and holds my face, "You are strong Ava Rose, show me how strong you are."

I smile and nod. She explains that we're going to a local hospital to the MRI done and that she has an orthopedic doctor ready to look the scans over.

She gets a phone call and kisses me on the cheek, "I'll be in the car. Have Adam walk you out."

I nod and she walks away.

I breath a sigh of relief. I feel Adams hand on my shoulder and I relax.

"It's all gonna be okay, alright?" He says.

I nod, "I know. I just wish you could come with me." I say and turn towards him.

"Me too," he says and takes my hand into his.

He leans forward and kisses my forehead. I sigh and start walking for the door and I hear his footsteps following me. I peak my head outside and there's no one around.

We make a run for the car and I'm about to get it when Adam pulls me in for a hug, "Good luck."

"Thanks Angie."

I smile and get into the car.

My mom drives away and I watch as Adam is walking back to his dorm to get his practice stuff.

"So," my mom says, "I hope that you and Adam have been making smart decisions."

"Mom." I groan, "It's not like that. He hasn't even asked me to be his girlfriend."

My mom laughs, "He's tried though."

I look at her suspiciously, "How would you know?"

"Lauren and I talk," she shrugs, "it's not illegal to gossip."

I shake my head and think about the times he's asked me to be his girlfriend. I wasn't sure then, but I'm sure now: I'm never stepping foot into Vista Prep for the rest of my life.

"I don't want to go to school at Vista anymore."

She quickly looks over wt me and then back to the road, "I don't understand, I thought you liked it."

"I did. But I'm ready to be home," I said,
"The team and I there don't really clash well."

"Of course you can come home. Although your father just got a promotion so he won't be home as often as me."

"I understand," I sigh.

The car is silent for a second until I bring up Adam again, "Adam is the best person in the world. He helped calm me down. He told me about the bet. I really like him mom, and I don't know what to do."

"Well that's easy," she laughs, "tell him that. He obviously wants to date you, so just go for it. Nothing is holding you back anymore."

"You're right," I smile, "I missed you mom."

"I missed you too Ava Rose."

—————————————————————
Shorty but a goodie

Not super juicy but I'm just trying to get it going again!

I hoped you enjoyed and thanks for reading!!!

With love- M