19-Camp-D2

Watching Adam play hockey by himself is probably the cutest and saddest thing I've seen. It's taking some serious self control for me to not go down and play with him. I know the surprise will be better when they aren't expecting it, though.

We were all supposed to meet at a rink in Taylor Falls, which is literally an hour away, at 2. That's where we would be practicing for the first time and meeting the new people and apparently be staying in cabins to train. I didn't even have to pack another bag.

My mom said we would wait for the Banks' to leave and then we would go.

The car ride wasn't so bad. The area is beautiful. Trees and hills and waterfalls were visible the whole way here.

I watched as everyone went inside. I however, stayed in the car until there was no one left. When we walked in, we found Bombay. I was really happy to see him. He gave me a big hug and then showed me to the Guest locker rooms to change.

I was so excited that my hands were shaking. I put my gear on fast and peaked my head out of the door. I saw all of the Ducks standing there and the new kids skate up in front of them.

I watched as each of them did whatever they do until it was the last guys turn. That's when I walked out of the locker room in my Vista Point practice jersey. I really hope none of them look too close.

When I looked up again, there was commotion on the ice, until Bombay blew his whistle, "Hey, quiet down. I have one more player."

I opened the door to the ice and skated out, "Hey there Ducks."

Adam was the first to turn around and look at me. A smile overtook my face as everyone raced towards me and tackled me in a hug.

"Ava Carter," Connie says, "why didn't you tell me you were home?"

"I got home last night. I wanted to surprise you guys."

I gave Adam a huge hug and then Connie. I found Charlie and hugged him to.

"Okay looks like we know who your favorites are." Averman jokingly scoffs.

"Oh Lester do you want a huggy hug?" I taunted and gave him a hug.

I gave a few other people hugs and then I got introduced to the new kids. There was only one girl, but one is better than none.

Coach decided to put me on the new team when we scrimmaged, so it was me, Ken, Dwayne, Luis, and Dean against Averman, Adam, Guy, Charlie, and Jesse.

I started off at center against Adam. I got down in position and he looked up at me, "Let's see how prep schools been treating you."

Bombay sets the puck down and Adam tries to push me out of the way, but I get the puck and skate away with it quickly. I pass the puck to Ken who passes it to Dean. He takes down the defenders in front of him and passed it back to me. I skated up to Goldberg, faked left, and shot the puck.

It went in and all the new kids were cheering.

The Ducks looked like they were struggling. From what Adam had told me, him and Charlie were the only ones really practicing, and you could tell. They were sloppy, defense was lazy, and the offense couldn't handle the puck enough to get it to the goal. Except for Adam, he was the only person that scored on Julie.

When I neared the bench, I heard Coach ask me, "Ava what did they feed you there?"

I smile, "Caf-"

"Cake. Cake-eater." Jesse jokes as he skates by.

I turn around and shove him down, "That was good."

"Of course it was, preppy."

Everything was fine until Fulton reared back to shoot, "Look out!"

I moved out of the way along with the other Ducks, but all of the new kids stayed out there.

"What a bunch of wussies," Dean said, but when Fulton shot, he ducked out of the way.

The puck bounced around until it landed, on Tibbles' face.

We all crowded around him as some lady and Coach Bombay tried to wake him up , "Mr. Tibbles, Mr. Tibbles."

When he woke up he said, "A cheeseburger with fries and a chocolate shake please."

Everybody laughed and then the lady turned to Bombay, "I think he'll be okay. We'll keep an eye on him. Oh I'm sorry he didn't get the chance to introduce us. I'm Michelle Mackay, their tutor."

"Hi I'm Coach Bombay, their coach."

Everyone laughed, "Who said we need a tutor?" Adam said from somewhere in the back. I was leaning against the boards with Luis to my right and Dwayne to my left.

I turn around and look at Adam. He raises his shoulders as various 'Yeah's and 'Really's floated around.

"I don't need no school." I chuckle at Deans words.

"You need it more than you think." I whisper and I look at Luis who heard me and laughed.

"Now Miss Mackay." Goldberg started, "We're America's team here. Shouldn't we be focused on hockey? May I suggest optional attendance?"

If it was optional, then I'd go, because I know stuff at Vista would be way harder than the stuff here. Prep school and all.

"We'll that's not a bad idea," Miss Mackay says.

Goldberg nods his head, "Call me Goldberg."

"Goldberg, yes school will be optional," she started, "However, should you not attend you still not be eligible to play."

Everyone scoffs and Bombay tells us we can hit the showers and go to the cabins. I had no idea where those were, but everyone else did, so I followed them.

I had on my straight jeans, white tank top, and my baggy brown flannel. I always wore this outfit on the weekends at Vista.

I find Adam and start walking by him, "You've been quiet today. I thought you'd be happy to see me."

"I am," he says and smiles, "but I knew you were home."

My jaw drops but I think about it. From his room you can obviously see if the light in my room is on, and he isn't dumb, so it makes sense that he put two and two together.

"Dang it. I was really trying to surprise you." I say sadly.

"I'm still really happy that you're here though." He grabs my hand and swings it as we keep walking down the street to the cabins. This area reminds me of a summer camp. There was something I needed to talk to him about.

I took a deep breath, "Thanks for the necklace. I really like it."

He looks down and smiles, "Took you long enough."

"You aren't mad that I didn't know it was from you?" I say quickly.

"No," he laughs, "you're the dumbest smart person I've ever met."

I shove him with my free hand, "Rude."

"But you're also the prettiest person I've met."

I smile and turn my face away so he can't see me blushing. I can see we're approaching the cabin so I jog forward and turn around, "Race you."

He smiles and starts running.

————————————————————————————————————
Anotha one

Thanks for reading- I know it's slow but I'm trying.

I hope you enjoyed!!!!!

With love, M