22-Awkward-D2

After beating Italy 11-0, Coach Bombay said we could have some personal free time. As long as we didn't do anything illegal, we could be on our own.

Averman and a few of the other guys went over to Beverly Hills, but I picked a different location; Vista Point Prep. Adam, Charlie, Connie, and Luis decided to tag along. I really want Connie to meet Jackie.

After about an hour bus ride, we arrived in the middle of the day. The clock showed 4 p.m., meaning hockey practice was going on, and Jackie would be done with classes.

I went to the deans office first to talk to him, and once I had the okay, I went to Mr. Foles classroom and asked for Jackie. He embraced me in a hug and told me that she'd likely be in the library.

Me and my friends raced to the library. I looked at all of them, "So follow my lead, okay? Jackie asks a lot of questions and if you don't answer them, she'll ask more."

Everyone nodded and I slowly opened the doors to library. I could see her blonde hair sitting at a study table reading out of a big book. I creeped towards her and put my hands over her eyes, "Guess who."

"Ava Carter, what are you doing here?" She screamed in excitement. The librarian shushed her but she didn't care. She gave me a hug hug, spurting out questions.

"Slow down," I laughed, "one at a time Jack."

She took a breath, "How are you here?"

"The Goodwill Games are in Los Angeles, and it's only an hour away." I smile and turn to my friends, "Oh and here are some of my friends from home."

"I bet I can guess them," Jackie holds her finger up and points, "That's Connie, I've heard so much about you, that's Charlie, and that's Adam."

She turns and winks at me after she says Adams name, "But I don't know who that is."

Luis steps up and offers his hand, "I'm Luis."

"It's nice to meet you, Luis."

No one else may have noticed it, but I saw a look between the two of them. I decided to keep to myself and move on.

"When did you get here?" Jackie asks me.

I smile at her excitement, "Literally just now. I talked to your dad and he said you'd be here."

She takes my hands and smiles at me, "Great. I'm glad you're here. Oo! Are you going to see the hockey team?"

"Duh," I laugh, "they'd be pissed if I didn't say hi."

We start walking out the door and everyone else follows us.

"No, Miles would be mad. Tanner and Brody, not so much." She whispers.

I look at the hallways as we walk through them. They'd been decorated for the 'Back to School Formal' which was this weekend. I obviously couldn't go because of hockey, unless coach Bombay said it was okay. I mean I couldn't go anyways, I didn't have a dress.

We made our way to the hockey building and as I approached the doors, Jackie pulled me back, "There's something I have to tell you in private."

"Okay..." I follow her to the side of the building while all of the others are looking at me weird.

Jackie takes a breath, "Miles has been really weird lately, I think he's gonna ask you to the dance, so don't be freaked out okay?"

I blink and look back towards the group, Adam pretends to not be looking but I see him anyways. I nod to Jackie and start walking back to the group. I apologize and link my arm with Connie's, "Let's do this"

Adam holds the door for us and Connie and I walk in the freezing arena. Practice was over, so they'd be coming out of the locker rooms any time. I took a deep breath and led them over to the bleachers, Connie on my left and Adam on my right. I could hear Luis and Jackie giggling behind us. Charlie walked next to Connie and I.

Adam, Charlie, Connie, and I were quiet while waiting on everyone, but Jackie and Luis could not shut up. I hope Jackie likes him so he'll stay off of me.

Just then, the door bursts open and three guys come tumbling out of the locker room. It's Brody, Tanner, and Cam. They all look up at me and smile really big.

Cam comes over first and the others follow, "Ava, what are you doing here?"

He grabs me in a hug and I laugh, "The goodwill games are in L.A. so I figured I'd stop by." I grab Tanner and Brody and give them individual hugs, both of them saying that they're glad to see me.

Cam looks behind me, "So are you going to introduce us to your friends?"

"Oh yeah," I smile, "This is Adam Banks, Connie Moreau, and Luis Mendoza."

I could tell Tanner was freaking out. Even though he knows Connie has a boyfriend, he still has a huge crush on her. Even though he's only seen pictures and stories that I've told, the guy would do anything for her.

"I'm Cam, this is Tanner and Brody." They both smile and nod.

"Where's Miles?" Jackie asks.

All of their eyes go big and come to my side and start pushing me towards the door. Cam looks at everyone around us, "Ha, um... he's been wanting to ask you to the formal this weekend. But the thing is, I'm not sure he's gonna let you say no."

"I know how to say no," I rolled my eyes and laughed.

Brody shakes his head and looks behind me towards what I assume to be everyone else, "I don't know about that. Remember that time I asked you to do my science project on top of yours."

"Well I wouldn't be able to go anyways. I'm kind of competing against the world right now." I shrug and turn around to everyone else, but as soon as I do, I hear the locker room door open and shut.

"Ava? What are you doing here?"

I look at Cam ,"Hey Miles"

Miles jogs up to me, "It's good to see you. I've missed you."

"Yeah me too," I look over to Connie for help, who looks just as mad as Adam, but she doesn't say anything to help me out, "Well I think we have to to go back like right now. It was good to see you."

I grab Jackie and start dragging her out the door, but Miles grabs my elbow, "Wait I need to talk to you."

"Don't." I snap at him.

"Don't grab her like that." Adam walks forward and takes Miles' hand off of my arm. I can feel my heart beating extremely fast as I look between the two of them. There's complete silence.

I look up and Miles' face goes dark and rips his hand away from Adams grip, "You don't tell me how to talk. I can do whatever I want."

Adam turns to me for my opinion. I look between them and take a breath, "Lets go guys. We have bigger things to deal with."

I race out the door holding back tears. I expect someone to follow me, to be with me while I'm worked up, but everyone else comes out a minute later. First Connie, who shoves her shoulder against mine, and then Jackie and Luis who don't even care that I'm standing there.

Charlie comes up next to me and wraps his arm around my shoulder, "I'll leave you two alone."

I feel a hand on my shoulder. I relax and turn around into Adam and he holds me. A couple tears trickle down my face onto his hoodie.

I grab his hand and us lead down a wooded path into an open meadow, away from the hockey building. It's easily the most beautiful place here, and not many people know about it. I actually found it the second day I was here and I wanted so bad to be at home.

"We need to talk..."

———————————————————————————

I don't even want to talk about it...

Thanks for reading!

With love, M