38-Chats-D2.5

It's been two days since I've been cleared and nothing could keep me off the ice. Adam and I have been scrimmaging non-stop, but something isn't clicking.

My moves aren't sharp and quick like they were before. Now, things seem to move in slow motion. It's only been 4 months, but something isn't right.

I've told Adam this, but he just thinks it's because I haven't been used to skating. Maybe he's right. Maybe it's just been too long.

"Avalon, long time no see!" Connie yells from her window.

I smile and skate closer to her house, "We have some over due chit-chat to catch up on."

Connie squeals and leaves her window. I decided to skate over to her house, even though it was nearly 10 degrees out. Hey, I have layers on.

Connie busts through her door and trampled me with a hug, "I haven't seen you in forever!"

"I know," I smile, "Guess what?"

"What?"

"I'm cleared to play hockey again!" I say and I jump up and down in my blades.

Her jaw drops and she jumps with me, "Oh Ava, I'm so happy for you!"

"Thanks!"

We venture to the diner closest to our houses, where Charlie and I would usually see each other.

"So," I say as we sit down in a booth, "how are you and Guy?"

She frowns, "I don't know. He says he likes me, but I don't think he's telling the truth. There's this girl in our class named Abbey and he's got TOTAL google eyes for her."

"You never know," I shrug, "not that I'm trying to defend him, but maybe you guys just need to talk."

"Probably," she sighs. The waitress comes up and takes our order.

"How's my little Duckie doing?" She asks in a baby voice.

"Duck is fine. She's so cute, Connie. Probably the best trained dog ever. It's like she knows to pee when she goes outside, amazing."

"What about Adam? Is it still the perfect love story straight out of a book?" Connie looks out the window dreamily.

"I guess," I say shyly, "I don't know how I'm so lucky. He could have turned out an ugly douche, but he's the opposite."

She tilts her head, "Has he grown? Because Guy really hasn't. Maybe an inch or two."

I laugh at her question, "Yeah he's grown. He's probably around 6'0 and oh Connie-" I lower my voice and look around, "he has a six-pack."

"Nuh-uh!" Connie squeals and smiles.

"Yeah-huh! This off-season hockey thing he's in has him working twice as hard. Boy am I glad." I lean back and the waitress brings up our food.

"How's school been for you? Other than the Abbey thing." I ask with a mouthful of fries.

"Ya know," she shrugs, "school is school. It's all super easy. I'm so ready for high school though."

I nod, "I think I am too, but I just know how bad the girls are gonna get."

"Oo yeah, I bet that's fun over in Edina." She raises her eyebrows.

"Apparently they had all called dibs on Adam, but he never cared because of me. Isn't that freaking adorable?" A blush comes across my cheeks and I look downs at the table.

"Aw Ava, that's too cute."

We finish our snack and head home. I drop her off and skate to my house. Once again, I'm greeted with Duck, wagging her tail and jumping up and down on my leg.