24-Oh Boy-D2

As coach Bombay walked into the locker room, everyone took notice of his suit and slicked back hair.

"Mr. Coach!" Connie yelled and there were various other whistles and jokes. I kept to myself.

I didn't see his appearance as a joke. He's trying to look like Stanson, I know it.

I also didn't see this game as a joke. We hadn't practiced at all since the game against Italy and I'm worried.

While I'm tying my laces up, i look at Adam and see his concerned face, "All we have to do is play hockey. Nothing different, okay?"

His face softens as he looks at me, "I know, I'm just worried is all."

"The Ducks will pull through, I'm sure of it." I smile and look out towards everyone else. They're all happy and laughing around.

Out of Adam and I, I knew someone had to stay positive, so I put on a brave face and tried to cheer him up.

"Come on, everyone's lining up." I stand up and grab my helmet.

Adam nods and does the same.

After Dean getting thrown out of the game 3 seconds in, I gave up any hope of us winning. The score at the end of the first period was 4-0 Iceland.

Coach would do line changes, but that never included Adam or I. We were on that ice the whole first period, getting hit, chucked, and thrown with no break.

What a coach.

"Where's our concentration?" Bombay scolds, "You guys are running round like a bunch of chickens with your heads cut off!"

Jesse looks at him, "We're going our best."

Bombay gets frustrated by that, "Well your best isn't good enough anymore. Blow this game and we are one loss away from elimination. You guys might want to go home early, but I sure as heck don't."

Adam took the face off and I was on his right. The guy in front of me laughs. I knew he was laughing because I'm a girl.

I got ready for the puck and the guy in front of me shoved me down. I quickly got up and chased after one of the Iceland people on a breakaway.

I caught up to him and stole the puck. I skated down to our goal and dodged a lot of hits coming my way. Except I see two Iceland people headed my way so I pass it off to Adam.

I brace for impact and they hit me hard. There's a really bad pain in my arm region so I look down.

My shoulder looks off but I ignore it and get back up. I use my left arm with my stick mostly.

The game goes on and my arm won't stop hurting. Coach Bombay didn't take me out until the third period.

Every time I got hit, my shoulder ached with pain. I knew I'd have to go see the nurse tomorrow.

At some point into the game, an Iceland guy hits his stick across Adams wrist. He says he's fine.

I, for one, don't believe him.

The final buzzer goes and I sigh in relief. Everyone grabs their gear and skates off to the locker room.

With every step I take, the worse my arm gets. I'm no doctor, but I don't think that's good.

Everyone's sitting down or leaning up against the lockers. Dean has his street clothes on and Julie's right behind him with most her gear off.

"12 to 1" Bombay starts, "12 to 1. You know what word comes to mind when you think of that? Hmm"